Eh Brah, where you stay?

Altadena, CA. Hopefully I can post a map of Europe sometime this summer.
...
View My house in a larger map

22 May, 2009

Where The Hell Have You Been?!

Yes, where the hell have I been? Here's where I've been for the last three weeks...Why yes, that is a gym. Equinox Fitness. How the heck did I join a gym? Or better yet, WHY did I join a gym, Mr. Bike riding, trail hiking, "I get my exercise outside" guy?

I joined a gym because I wasn't getting outside enough. It's been a long time since I've put in dedicated miles on my bike. Kinda stopped doing that when I took up sporting clays on the road. Days off were for shooting not riding at the end. When I returned home, I was trying to ride as often as I could, but I was getting discouraged because I'm not at the fitness level I used to be at. Of course, back then, I rode everyday and spent every hour at The Bike Shop. "Back then" is over 15 years ago, plenty of time to loose fitness. It's demoralizing when you are constantly passed by faster cyclists, and you know, back in the day, you could have kept up.

So I joined a gym. I was hesitant at first for similar reasons, I didn't want to be the fat guy at the gym bench pressing a barbell with 30 lbs on it next to the guy pressing 150 lbs. But I got over it when I figured I have to start somewhere, and since I've never been in a gym before...

Why the fancy pants Equinox Fitness? Because my sister-in-law is a trainer at the Chicago branch, and she got me a family discount. Otherwise, I'd never have joined, "fat guy in the gym" syndrome would have kept me at the ice cream parlor (that and the cost as a non family member). It's actually a really nice gym. There are clean showers and a eucalyptus steam room, as well as masseuses on staff. Kind of a spa, but more gym that relaxation.

I go in the late mornings 3 times a week because that seems to be when the place is the emptiest. I still have the complex of being the fat guy in the gym, but at 11AM, it seems pretty even with fat guys and fit guys.

I also have a good trainer that my sister-in-law recommended. I feared the trainer. You always hear about these trainers who are failed drill sergeants, yelling at their clients and pushing them really hard. My guy is not like that. He's been really straight forward. He'll load up the bar with what he thinks I can lift and then lets me decide if it's too much or too little. So far, he's been about 75% on the money. I deduct 25% because he always makes it too light for my leg work out. This week he started me on "mini circuit" training.

I'm hoping to see results in 6 weeks, or that's what my trainer expects. So far, all the gym has done for me is make me tired in the afternoons and sweat a lot. Next step, is changing my eating habits.

So that's my excuse for not blogging in a while. I'll try to get back on it so you can see, or at least read about results... Hopefully in 6 weeks.

Check out Sean Patrick's blog... I'm going to write there about my other excuse for not blogging... Swim lessons...


...

No comments: