Eh Brah, where you stay?

Altadena, CA. Hopefully I can post a map of Europe sometime this summer.
...
View My house in a larger map

21 December, 2009

An Observation Of The Los Angeles Driver.

I noticed it a couple of weeks ago. I don't think it's a holiday season thing.

I was driving back from a gig on the 134 freeway in Burbank which happens to have a carpool lane, when I saw something I hadn't seen for quite sometime. Someone driving in the carpool lane who was alone (not carpooling) and wasn't a hybrid with the fancy stickers (for those not familiar, there was a program in California when hybrids started coming out that you could enter a raffle of sorts and win stickers that allowed you to drive in the carpool lane and not be a carpool). My first thought was, "What a jerk", of course the language was more colourful at the time, and this is a family blog, but since I was sitting in traffic, my mind began to wander and think about this solo driver in the carpool lane.

Lots of people, most of whom don't live in or have never driven in Los Angeles traffic say we are the worst, the craziest, most self centered egotistical drivers in the world. While I agree with most of these things, I did realize that for the most part, L.A. drivers obey the carpool lane. It's free game in the regular traffic lanes, people cut each other off, speed uncontrollably (when not crawling in traffic), tailgate, change lanes without signals and the like. But most observe the carpool lane and don't drive there unless they are carpooling. THEN, it's one stake higher with the free game of normal traffic compacted into one (sometimes two) carpool lane(s)... Tailgating, changing into regular lanes over the solid lines, changing lanes without signaling.

Which is to say, you have to be a real genuine, grade A, premium quality, self centered egotistical boob to drive in the carpool lane as a solo. Makes me think his parents didn't raise him right.

So take that to heart fellow Angelenos, though we may be bad drivers, we still have some respect, even if it is just for the carpool lane.

Now parking in handicap spaces in front of stores and offices, don't get me started.


...

No comments: