As we all know, Sean Patrick loves him some Classical Baby. It's that half hour special on HBO that features classical music, art and dance, for the smart baby.
His current favorite song from the show is the clip you are listening to, Eine Kleine Nachtmusik by Mozart. The actual Allegro movement is over 8 minutes in the version I have, and Classical Baby only plays the first minute and a half or so, which I feature here.
Why the blog post? Besides the fact that I love that Sean Patrick listens to and enjoys classical music, it's more striking to me that he likes this piece.
I think that this is arguably the most recognized piece of classical music out there. I could play this, and any average Joe could wax intellectual and say, "Ah, Mozart".
But what makes it so recognizable and memorable? Besides it being featured many times in movies, I think it's for me, the easiest to hear 4/4 time in. I think we all have an internal metronome of some sort. It's what helps us keep time when we dance. And for those of you who can't dance, you should probably listen to this bit of music a few times.
Special shout out to Mrs. Somma-Demore (sp?) who was my score reading teacher at CalArts. Yes, I did learn something at CalArts. Although I liked music and had a pretty decent internal metronome (I think I did, the girls I danced with at the Pink Cadillac in Waikiki, they may have another opinion) it wasn't until I took score reading with Mrs. Somma Demore that I truly understood why.
I can't play an instrument, but I can look at a score of music while listening to it and after a couple of passes, can see the music move across the paper. A skill I'm pretty proud of.
In time I can only hope Sean Patrick will learn about music and appreciate it as much as I do. If anything, he's got a good start.
Smart baby.
...

No comments:
Post a Comment