Eh Brah, where you stay?

Altadena, CA. Hopefully I can post a map of Europe sometime this summer.
...
View My house in a larger map

06 May, 2010

Not John Cusack Inspired.


I was driving back from Hollywood after working on Jimmy Kimmel Live listening to a mix CD I had found sitting on my desk. I had labeled it "Dance Hits of the 80's", and found the most ridiculous hodge podge of songs, from Bjork to The Jets and everything in between. While I was trying to figure out what I was thinking when I made the CD, "Waiting in Vain" by Bob Marley popped on.

I like that song. I actually played it a couple times in a row. Mostly because the bass sounds pretty good in my truck. But it got me thinking back to that old question, "What five albums would you have with you on a deserted island?" So here's my current list, subject to change as I get older and discover more music. No particular order, just what came to mind.


Bob Marley - "Legend" - Obviously the first thing to pop in my head after listening to "Waiting in Vain" last night. Not just that song, but every song on the list is a classic and worth a listen anytime.

The Smiths - "Louder Than Bombs" - Although I don't know if I can still listen to this album over and over, I did when I was younger from about 1987 until 1993. Whether it it's Morrissey raspy voice or Johnny Marr's twangy guitar riffs, it's forever in my brain, and worth a listen... maybe not twice in a row.

Israel Kamakawiwo'ole - "Facing Future" - I never really listened to Hawai'ian music when I was in Hawai'i. I guess I was too busy rebelling against the society I was surrounded by. When I moved to L.A., I started to listen more. Facing Future is the perfect album to get a cross section of the music produced in Hawai'i, short of traditional chanting. Even if I was on a desert island, I'd still fast forward over the first and last songs however.

Yanni - "Keys to Imagination" - When you're done laughing, I have a perfectly good explanation as to why this album makes the list. Inspiration. Not the kind of inspiration that Yanni claims his music gives, that his music can "heal" sick people. I know, what a nutter. This album reminds me of when I first discovered the sport of cycling. Before the magical land of Versus television brought us 6 hours of Tour de France coverage a day, the only coverage we got to see in the late 1980's (1986 and 1987 for sure) was on ABC's "Wide World of Sports". Back then, it was two hours every Saturday in June that would cover a week of racing. So for two hours I would watch and listen to this:
Yes, that is a Yanni song playing at the beginning of the clip. And being a fan of the 7 Eleven cycling team, first ever American team to race the Tour de France, why can't I find the music with the images inspirational? Besides if I'm stuck on a desert island, I'm gonna need some inspiration.

Jack Johnson - "In Between Dreams" - Although I'm currently mad at him and his management for again not hiring me to do his tour, this is a really great album. So great that Nicole and I chose our song off it ("Better Together"). This album never leaves the CD player in the truck. It's great driving music.

Like I said, this list is subject to change. Although I think most of those albums are timeless and can be listened to by anyone, any generation. Maybe not The Smiths...


...

No comments: