Eh Brah, where you stay?

Altadena, CA. Hopefully I can post a map of Europe sometime this summer.
...
View My house in a larger map

01 July, 2010

Today Makes 30.

Today is my 30th day working at Jimmy Kimmel. I've done 10 days on the talk show stage, and 20 bands on the outdoor stage. All within the last calendar year.

What is the significance of 30 days at Kimmel? I am now eligible to join IATSE Union 728. This is important, because it can certainly lead to more work in town, which isn't a bad thing. Over the past two years, since I've been home, I've been refused a couple of jobs because I wasn't union. It's always a strange phone call when they say, "We need a lighting programmer, you're 728 right?"

"Nope."

"Uh, never mind. Talk to you later."

I know I posted a couple of years ago that I was in IATSE Union 33. I was grandfathered in because I needed to be part of that Union to work on the MTV Video Music Awards. And all I've gotten out of them since then is no work, and a lot of mail regarding $125 they took out of my paychecks for a 401k they have for me. Guess I'll have some money when I retire.

728 is the union I want to be in. They are the electricians union and my talents are needed there. 33 is a broader union, and lighting programmers are not high on the list. Not to mention a very strange "tier" program they have. And since I'm on the lowest tier, I doubt there will ever be work for me.

Fingers crossed I can process the paperwork for 728 quickly and my phone will start ringing. I hear it takes 1 to 2 months for the paperwork to push through, for them to take my initial "dues" and hand me a card. I'm sure I'll blog about that when it happens.

Today is also my last day on the talk show stage here at Kimmel. It's been a fun two weeks. I was here for a power outage and the show being filmed on a laptop computer; the Lakers basketball team the day after winning the championships; and for Tom Cruise zip lining over Hollywood boulevard.

They're going on a two week break followed by 4 weeks without the outside stage, then another 2 week break. Guess I won't be seeing this building again until September. By then, I'll be 728.

Fingers crossed.


...

2 comments:

jade said...

Good luck with them processing the paperwork quickly!

Stephanie said...

the dawn of a new era!