Eh Brah, where you stay?

Altadena, CA. Hopefully I can post a map of Europe sometime this summer.
...
View My house in a larger map

29 June, 2010

The Death of One Career?

I'm still hoping for 10%. I'm trying to be optimistic about it, but the chances are looking slim.

I'm mostly upset about how I'm finding out the answers, and not so much the answers themselves. Why can't people be honest, especially those people you trust.

I suppose I should tell you what I'm talking about.

It's looking like I won't be going to Europe next week to do a three show run with Eminem.

How did I find out I wasn't going to Europe? When I got a call from the new designer asking me to come out and push buttons for him. It was an awkward moment for sure.

Back in January, I was told by the production manager that I was going to Europe.

It wasn't until today that the production manager finally told me the truth. That I'm not going. That the new designer is taking over the gig. He said it's out of his hands, that management has made the decision. He believes it to be a mistake that they try to program 20 songs in three days. They're proceeding forward.

I can't help but wonder how long the production manager actually knew that I was replaced. A month? two weeks? If he had known, I wish he'd have told me then so I could have at least tried to book work for that time. Now I have a two week hole of unemployment, starting next week.

It's also possible, that the production manager is fighting to get me out there even today, hence the 10% chance. But I doubt it.

Eminem was the last of my design clients that I've had from my former days of touring.

I guess you could now say my former days of designing as well. All the gigs I get now are just button pushing. I'm not really complaining, it was a choice I made. I've chosen my family over the wonders of touring, and quite possibly designing.

It was not a difficult choice, everyone knows family is more important. But it's still sad. I can't tell if something has died or if I've just put it on hold for now.



...

No comments: