View Larger Map
The above map show the location of Mud Butte. It's the place mark at the top and the bottom place mark is Rapid City where I am today.
I was sitting at breakfast this morning while the chef was talking to one of the caterers about how everyone in Mud Butte was moving out because government farming was taking over and there was nothing for people to do. It was so bad, they even closed the post office. He was saying you could go up there and buy a house for a dollar from the government.
So started looking on line for property for sale in Mud Butte.
But before I go any further, I can hear people snickering, thinking to themselves, "Who'd want to live in a place called Mud Butt?" First off, it's pronounced "byoōt" not "butt". And second, I don't want to live there either, I just want to buy a house for a dollar!!
I've not had much luck in finding a listing for anything for sale in Mud Butte. But I have found interesting facts about the place. Here's a list I got from Nextag, a website more or less dedicated to getting you a mortgage. The first number is the amount in Mud Butte, the second number represents all of South Dakota, and the third number is the total for the U.S.
Population
110
750,397
281,979,334
Male Population
63
372,317
138,171,410
Female Population
47
378,080
143,807,924
Population over 25 years of Age
75
471,327
182,538,428
Male High School Graduates
11
76,616
24,054,948
Female High School Graduates
16
78,263
28,168,403
Males with Bachelor's Degree
0
34,539
14,047,167
Females with Bachelor's Degree
4
38,663
14,319,692
Males with Master's Degree
0
9,701
5,251,904
Females with Master's Degree
3
8,691
5,528,648
Total households
51
288,567
105,726,278
People in a household
2.0
2.0
2.0
Total Housing Units
66
320,770
116,090,300
Urban Housing Units
0
166,783
90,205,622
Rural Housing Units
66
153,987
25,884,678
Median No. of Rooms
4.8
5.5
5.3
Median Year Structure Built
1956
1955
1913
Median Rent
$0.0
$206.0
$340.0
Median Value of owner occupied Housing Units
$48,800.0
$52,656.0
$99,133.0
Median Price of vacant Housing Units
$10,000.0
$27,162.2
$76,766.6
Total Housing units no mortgage
0.0
80,171.0
32,338,376.0
But now I have to work. So I guess my search is over.
It would have been fun to say, "I have a house in Mud Butt". Hee hee!
...

2 comments:
I so need a postcard from that city.
Sorry to hear they closed the Post Office in Mud Butte. Dad's 1951 Postal Route map (he had to memorize all the P.O.'s, what trains went there, what time,etc.) shows it clearly. It's just 10 miles north of Sulphur, which I think is now a high-class gated community. Could be wrong.
Pops
Post a Comment