Eh Brah, where you stay?

Altadena, CA. Hopefully I can post a map of Europe sometime this summer.
...
View My house in a larger map

05 July, 2008

And It Begins...

Today, I've hit a crossroads. I don't know what to do. I promised myself months ago at the start, I wouldn't give in. But now that the day is here, what do I do? There was a glitch this morning. Is this karma telling me not to?

But I took the initiative and immediately had the glitch fixed. Now I can go ahead, and give in?

We will know in 20 minutes what happens. The air is so thick with anticipation you can cut it with a spoon...

(20 minutes later...)

What can I say, I am a weak soul. I gave in, and watched the first stage of the Tour de France. Today was stage one, from Brest to Plumelec and won by Valverde, who gets to wear the first yellow jersey of the tour.

I know I said I wouldn't watch. That I would boycott to show support for Astana, the team that was denied entry, and has the reigning champion from last year, Alberto Contador. I know I wrote these things here.

But I can't seem to stop my love for the sport. I want to watch this years Tour just to see what happens. I want to see if a train wreck in publicity happens. If there is a doping scandal of some sort. If people who win stages or wear the jersey are constantly asked, "Would this tour be different with Astana riding?" or "Do you think you'd be in the yellow jersey if Contador was here?" I want bad things to happen to the Tour de France and I want a front row seat.

I'm not going to beat the dead horse anymore and talk about how unfair it is to not have Astana in the tour. Nor will I again discuss the division between the UCI and the ASO and how it's more damaging to the sport than the Astana debacle. I'm done with that.

Okay, one more tidbit. In an interesting article you can find here, the current battle between the UCI and ASO has been compared to a battle once fought here in the U.S. between CART and IRL automobile racing. To boil it down, if this battle continues on the same path as the CART/IRL battle, UCI will lose and the ProTour will be dissolved leaving the door open for race organizers to invite whomever they want to their races. A position the ASO already takes. The battle could be all about money, namely the revenue generated by advertising.

I await the train wreck that is about to happen regarding the UCI and the ASO.

In the meantime, I'm going to watch the Tour, and wait for a doping scandal. Give the UCI a little lever to say, "See, no matter what you do, the cheaters will keep cheating. Bad press, bad press!"

I hope they put an asterisk next to the winners name. Just like they did two years ago, when Floyd Landis was removed from the win and it was given to Oscar Pereiro. The asterisk should say, "2007 winner, Alberto Contador was not allowed to defend his title."


...


On a lighter note, Nicole and I celebrated a quiet 4th of July at home. We honored the United State of America, and it's independence by having a tradition American meal of Korean barbecue and fried rice.

Here I am preparing the traditional fried rice. Some vegetables, a little garlic salt, butter, and there you go. Note the little beagle head near the back of my knee, waiting for the scraps to hit the floor.


Is there anything my sexy truck can't do? Here it serves as, you guessed it, the table for the barbecue. Wonder where they got the name "tailgate party"? Last year Nicole and I bought a folding furniture set that we've been setting up in the driveway during the summer and having dinner al fresco. Although the days have been unbearably hot, the evenings have been quite nice. And why not sit outside and enjoy the air.


"MRE honey MRE". The Meal is Ready to Eat. Delicious American food. Hats off to our founding fathers...


Who gave us the right to bear arms. And no, it's not real. It's an airsoft pistol I bought years ago on a whim. Looks real though doesn't it? I was armed to the teeth to once again, celebrate 4th of July. That and to scare away that damn neighborhood dog that comes to our fence and drives Pekona nuts.



Geez Dad, your embarassing me! Put away your silly toy gun.


...

No comments: