Eh Brah, where you stay?

Altadena, CA. Hopefully I can post a map of Europe sometime this summer.
...
View My house in a larger map

19 August, 2008

Who? Me?

Not much to report really. I've had a long and short week of work. I went to three separate gigs, one of which was in Pasadena close to my house. Which was fine aside from the fact that there was nothing for me to do so I went home for most of the day. I still got paid, which is nice. Sunday marked the end of Jingles, a tear to my eye. Watch for it in November. If anything, just to see the terribly mediocre lighting. Couldn't tell you what channel, or for that matter, if it got picked up by a network. More than likely it will be on a cable station like Bravo or something.

Yesterday marked my return to Mun2 and Vivo which I did all of last summer... I just realized. I've been blogging for a year! I just checked, and my first blog posted on August 2 2007. How's that for commitment? That illustrates how the more things change, the more they stay the same. I was at Vivo over a year ago, and the lighting rig is still the same. The lighting director and I pretty much phoned the show in. It's been a year and I slipped back into the same boredom. But it's a paycheck so I can't really complain too much.

So much for the update, now here's the rant.

I'm not planning on buying an iPhone until it's unlocked and available to use on any network, but what's been grinding my gears lately, is this whole "MobileMe" thing that Mac has started doing. It's the straw that broke the camels back.

The 80's was known as the "me" decade. It was all about me, what's in it for me? How does that benefit me? You think Judd Nelson looks like me? If it was up to me, I would have dated Ally Sheedy and not Molly Ringwald. You get the point.

But it really feels like now is the "me" decade. MobileMe, Myfoxla.com, my accuweather forcast, my ringtone. Marketing seems, to me (ha ha!), aimed at increasing our selfishness. I get to program the remote control for me, and Nicole can program it for her. The make showers now that you can program to set the temperature and sprinkle pattern for me. Car seats have settings that remember me.

It seems like nothing is geared toward the greater good of the people. In one of the great lines of the Star Trek movies (if not one of the cheesiest), Spock states, a few times during the 2nd movie, "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one." "Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country." "Don't worry, I've got the check, enjoy your dinner." I threw that last one in because I hate math and am tired of people dissecting a check down to the last penny as to who owes what. Either everyone throws in a 20 and we divide the change up evenly, or someone treats. Don't make the mistake of just ordering a salad with me, buddy.

It could be that I'm getting sensitive to all this stuff, being an expectant father. I know, in less two months time it's not about me anymore, it's about Sean Patrick. What can I do for him.

A scary prospect, but a most exciting one.


...

2 comments:

jade said...

Less than 2 months? Really?

Anonymous said...

wow. time flies by.