The last few days we've had "winter weather" here in Los Angeles. What that means for us, is windy, rainy and cold. But not bitingly cold like up north or back east, but cold enough to put on a lined jacket, and rainy enough that sitting at home and watching TV is the best bet.

A couple of winters ago, it did snow at our house. But so far this year, this is as good as it gets... a light dusting at the top of the mountains behind our house.
I was out walking the dog when I took that picture and thought I should take some photos of around my neighborhood so those who don't live in L.A. have a sense of where Sean Patrick, Nicole and I live. We like our neighborhood for the most part. Some of the neighbors we can't stand, but I guess that happens every where.

We live on a bit of a hill, not steep, but it's easier to say, "At the top of our street," as opposed to, "On the north end of our street." So... At the top of our street is a trail head, the Altadena Crest Trail. Basically come out of our front door turn left, cross Loma Alta Drive and you're on the trail. I've never hiked more than 30 minutes of it. I want to, but it's an open trail along a ridge so in the summers it's really hot. In the winters, well, I have no excuse for not having hiked it in the winters, but right now is not a good time since it's wet and slippery. I usually take the dog on a walk through a section of it that ends up at the Loma Alta Park.
And speaking of parks, Loma Alta Park is a really nice one. There's two sections of it cut in half by Loma Alta Drive. The upper half has a two baseball diamonds, a small swimming pool (only open during the summer), two very nicely equppied play grounds, one for 8 and under and one for 8 and over. They've also got an indoor gym with a basketball court and weight room.

The lower park has picnic areas, tennis courts and and equestiran area, pictured above. It's puddled up because of our winter storm. Our house backs up to the equestrian park.

That's our house behind the light pole. During the summer, people will ride there horses right along the brick wall there next to our house. We're not in the backyard that often, but there have been times where I've caught a torso floating above my wall. It's a rather strange sight when you can't see the horse.
The short dog walk usually involves a figure 8 through the park. Pekona has found his places to poop and sniff in the park, the places I let him anyway. And then we head back home either walking down the street or up the street depending on the direction we start.
While were on the subject of directions, how's this for confusing... Here's the street sign at the top of Dabney

And here's the street sign at the bottom of Dabney

Which is it? Dabney STREET, or Dabney AVENUE? I think government has forgotten there's a street or avenue there because we've had a street light out for over a year, and there's been an abandon car parked in front of our house for over 6 months. I've complained about both to the proper authorities and the most response we've gotten was a parking ticket on the light pole. Geez.
...
2 comments:
No photos of Pekona walking?
those darn misbehaving light poles!
Post a Comment