Eh Brah, where you stay?

Altadena, CA. Hopefully I can post a map of Europe sometime this summer.
...
View My house in a larger map

04 December, 2008

The Economy, Windsor, Television, And Sesame Seed Bones.

THE ECONOMY

Long time since I've posted.

The economy has effected every one. In a effort to scale back and prevent people from becoming unemployed, I've decided to cut back on the number of post on this blog to once a week. I know, it's hard for some, but in order to save others, we must do what we can in these tough times.

Or, I've just been busy with baby, out of town for four days on my last Blue Man Group gig, and really just didn't have anything to say.

But I'm going to blame the economy because that's the thing to do.

WINDSOR

You read that right folks. My LAST gig with Blue Man Group. I was in Windsor Canada this past weekend doing a "corporate" gig for BMG at the Caesar's Casino. This is not the touring show, but rather a short 1 hour performance that they do for private parties and casino gigs. I didn't design it, I was just hired to make sure the lighting cues were correct and operate the console.

I say last, because on Saturday, I found out that I've been replaced on the Megastar tour, but the former lighting designer, the guy I replaced back in 2006. The sucky part, is how I found out, I won't go into the details, but let's just say it was not the professional way to find out.

Needless to say, I don't plan on going back out on the tour. It's not my design, I don't care, and I'm not going to push buttons for someone else's design. Sorry folks, that's just how I feel. No loyalty to me, no loyalty from me.

I'm still a little bitter about this whole thing. And I've been thinking I have a whole blog that I could write about things of this nature. But I'll save that for next weeks blog. :-)

TELEVISION

I did another gig for FN MTV last week, their "Holiday Special" featuring a live performance by Fall Out Boy. We were taping at Boardners, a famous bar off Hollywood Boulevard.

I had started a whole blog about how messed up and chaotic some TV shoots can be, especially one thrown together at the last minute. But I didn't finish it because I only had one point to make and I was becoming long winded about other things.

So here's the one point.

How am I supposed to know exactly what the show looks like? Everyone sets their TV's to different contrast, colour, tint, etc. levels, how do I know what's correct?

Here's why I was thinking about this. When ever I'm programming for TV, the video guys run me two monitors, one that I have control of, where I can use a switcher and switch between the feeds from all the different cameras on the gig. And the second monitor is called the "line cut" or "program" feed, which is what the director is looking at/ cutting the show to.

To illustrate my point, here's a picture I took of my monitors:
It's not about the content on the monitors, it's Miley Cyrus and Pete Wentz, if you're wondering. Look at the quality of the picture, the difference in quality, really. The top monitor, which is the line feed, the colours are warm and balanced. But the bottom monitor, is all blown out. You can't even make out features on their faces. Granted this is a picture of two pictures, but if the two pictures were the same, this wouldn't be an issue.

I guess I have a lot to learn about television lighting.

SESAME SEED BONES

My last blurb for tonight (I should sleep since I have to watch the kid in the A.M.) is about what I discovered today when I visited a doctor.

Last week, I decided I needed to get a flu shot since we have Sean Patrick around, and I was about to fly to Windsor, I'd best take every precaution. So I scheduled an appointment with my doctor last Wednesday, for the flu shot, and while I was at it, I thought I'd have this painful callus on the big toe of my left foot checked out, find out my blood type, and get a wart frozen. May as well make the best of my co-pay and get in as many things as I could.

I love my doctor and here's why... Below are her answers to all my questions:

- You don't need an appointment for a flu shot, downstairs is our free flu shot clinic, just go stand in line.
- I don't have the equipment to shave off the callus, I'm supposed to refer you to a podiatrist, so I'll do that.
- I don't know your blood type. It's not something we normally test for when we do blood work. But I'd be happy to order up some blood work when ever you like, just email me and I'll let you know when to come in.
- I'll burn that wart off, no problem.
- And since I really didn't do anything for you, go back to the front desk and get a refund on your co-pay, no point in wasting money, you'll need to pay for the podiatrist anyway, and he's the one that will be helping you. I'll call the front desk and tell them you are coming.

Isn't that cool? A doctor who refunds money!

Today, I went and saw the podiatrist. He looked at my callus, whipped out a scalpel and proceeded to scrap and cut off my callus. He suggested I get X-rays done to see if I have an "extra" bone in my toe. Cool! I have may have extra bones!

The X-rays came back positive. I have what's called a sesamoid bone located under the toe just behind the toe pad. Which means for the rest of my life, I'm going to develop a callus there, that I will constantly have to have scraped and cut off and every now and again I will experience a little pain if I step on the toe a funny way.

Or I can have surgery to have the bone removed.

For now, I'm going with the callus. Can't afford elective surgery at the moment.

But what I wonder now (and I should have asked the doctor then) is how come I have this problem now? If I've had this bone all my life why the callus now?

A question that will haunt me forever.

Or until I go to bed.


...

1 comment:

jade said...

Once a week? Must adjust holiday plans to only check once a week.

How were FOB live?

Congratulations on your doctor refunding money. I've unfortunately never heard of one doing this for a patient.