Eh Brah, where you stay?

Altadena, CA. Hopefully I can post a map of Europe sometime this summer.
...
View My house in a larger map

12 April, 2009

After 15 Years, The End Comes...

I found something interesting in my mailbox a couple of days ago.
I've paid off my student loans for CalArts, and got a modest refund check for overpaying.

Nicole had told me last month that she'd paid the last of my student loan and how good it felt for her to finally get at least one of our debts paid off (next one up - Nicole's car). It didn't really sink in for me until I tore open the envelope and saw the above check.

That 5 dollar and 11 cent check brings an end to a 15 year journey. 2 years of schooling followed by 13 years of monthly reminders of how much my schooling cost me (and my father).

Granted, the loan was meant to be paid in 10 years, and some where along the line, I deferred my payments for a total of three years (I think in 6 month increments). Most of that was in early 90's right after graduation. Bills and payments weren't interesting to me, and if someone said, "you can wait to pay this back," I'm sure I said, "YES."

Shout out and props to Nicole for making sure this debt came to an end. She's the one who pays the bills each month. She is the one that keeps me honest.

It's hard to believe that 13 years ago, I received a Bachelors in Fine Arts diploma wearing a hula skirt and coconut bra, but I did. And in those 13 years, I've put that degree to work, and gotten to the point I am today.

Let's see if I can keep it going at least another 13 years, this time, without a student loan payment.


...

2 comments:

Lindsay said...

I was just lamenting to Creighton how much longer I have to go on my loan...in fact, I think I said that I'll probably pay it off about when our kids are ready for college....

Stephanie said...

CONGRATS!!!!!! It was a HUGE load off my shoulders when I payed mine off about 2 yrs ago. I danced.