Eh Brah, where you stay?

Altadena, CA. Hopefully I can post a map of Europe sometime this summer.
...
View My house in a larger map

25 April, 2009

Fast Fashion Plays The Boulevard.

Last week was a rough week for me. I'm mostly recovered now, but I'm still foggy most of the day. Soon I'll be back on a proper sleep schedule.

And what took me out of my routine? Depeche Mode. That iconic band from the 1980's played a concert a free concert on Hollywood Boulevard Thursday night. But the week of work began Monday night for me.

Since the concert was going to be outdoors, the only time we could really program the lighting was going to be at night, and Monday night was our first chance. The electricians set the rig up on road cases and fork lifts so we could program them.We weren't going to get set up on the street until the night before the concert (Wednesday) so as much work as we could get done before hand was going to be beneficial.

Monday was a 4PM until 3AM call. I hadn't seen the 3AM in a long time. Lately if I'd seen it, it was because Sean Patrick had woken up and Nicole or I had to go soothe him back to sleep. Now, I'm awake for work. Tuesday night was a little easier since we slammed in most of the programming for the show (they were only doing 6 songs) and we only worked 7PM until 1AM.

Wednesday was going to be the long night. My call wasn't until 10PM. I thought I'd be able to walk in, set up my console on the street, and then wait a couple of hours for the rig to get in the air. Not so lucky. The street wasn't even closed off until 11PM, then the waiting began. Here's little pictorial history of the night:
Midnight. The grips are still coming to grips with getting up the truss towers so we can hang the truss and lights.Almost 2AM, finally all 4 towers are up. Now they just need to raise our truss. We wait for another 1/2 hour and still nothing moves. So we ask the head grip how soon before the truss goes up. "At least 45 minutes to an hour," So we sent the electricians on dinner break.

No sooner do the electricians leave, than the head grip comes over and tells us, "We'll have the truss up in 10 minutes and the stage built in an hour so you can hang your lights," Of course, building the stage would make it much harder to hang the lights, it's easier to do it from the ground. As soon as the truss was in the air, the LD (my buddy Christian), the Gaffer Scott, and myself slapped all the lights on the truss.By 3:30AM, the truss was up, the grips were building the stage, and the electricians had returned from dinner break.

By 4:30AM we had the rig powered up and I was testing fixtures and focusing.

6:00AM, quitting time, 8 hour turn around, back at 2PM to continue with the floor lights.
4PM, sound check. I like this photo I took of M.L. Gore and the video screen behind him.
8:30PM Show go.

This video would be longer if the batter wasn't dying on my camera...




Here's the set list for you fanatics who didn't show up:

Wrong (new album)
Personal Jesus
Walking In My Shoes
Come Back (new album)
Peace (new album)
Enjoy The Silence
Never Let Me Down Again

First two songs were on Jimmy Kimmel:




And now back to bed with me.


...

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

jealous!!!

carla and aya said...

i've always loved this song,
latex,
aya and carla

jade said...

I had no idea you worked that event.