I tell you this only because I didn't have my camera handy to take the following photo, I shot it with the camera on my phone, which we all know is poor quality. Shooting into backlight also didn't help.
Had I seen this sign in 1995, my life would have been different.

It really is sound advice. Stop Ikea! They're taking over the world of interior design with their cheap throw away furniture that becomes tacky and outdated in three years. Stop them! Stop them!
I first discovered Ikea in 1995 when I just graduated from CalArts. I had moved into a house with 3 other guys and I needed to furnish my little corner. We bought a sectional couch from a friend and had the required bachelor pad coffee table, an empty industrial cable spool. But we had no dining room table, no pots and pans, not even a fork. Mike Hooker, a professor at CalArts told us of the magical land of Ikea. A cheap way to furnish the basics (and not so basics) of a home. And off we went.
Long story short, I think I got rid of the last piece of furniture (an old arm chair) that I bought from that first shopping spree last summer during our garage sale.... I take that back, I still have my dining room chairs. The last remant of that time.
Since 1995, I've bought 3 different dining room tables from Ikea. Each serving the same purpose (table) but each a little different in design sense. And all three went of out style.
The dining room table we have now is from Pottery Barn. It is our wedding present to ourselves. Bought mostly with the gift cards we got at our wedding.
The couch however is from Ikea. 4th one I've ever bought from them.
...

No comments:
Post a Comment