As was previously posted in my blog, the Discovery Channel Pro Cycling Team was disbanded at the end of last year. This year, they were more or less rebuilt around the Astana Cycling Team.
Last night I put my wife to bed with tales of the woes that the new Astana Cycling Team must face.
Within the last two weeks Astana has been denied entry into the two biggest races in the cycling season; The Tour of Italy (Giro d'Italia) and the Tour de France. In addition, they have been denied entry into many of the other big races on the calendar because the organizing bodies of the Giro and the Tour de France (RCS Sport and the ASO respectively) also run these other races.
The reason? Because over the last two years, the previous Astana teams have been involved in major doping scandals, including last years Tour de France, where Alexander Vinokourov and two other riders were caught blood doping and/or using banned substances. "Damages that this team has done to the Tour de France and to cycling in general. The team Astana has betrayed the organiser's confidence last year," is part of the official statement by the ASO. They also state that this year is a "wait and see" year for Astana to prove itself "clean".
But this is not the same Astana. They fired their coach, they fired the riders who were guilty or under suspicion. The brought on Johan Bruyneel to manage the team. They spent almost 200,000 Euro's on a doping prevention plan, using the same highly regarded doctor as other teams in the Pro Tour. The only thing the same about this team, is the sponsor, Astana, a conglomerate of companies in the capital of Kazahkstan.
Why single them out? Other teams have been guilty of having riders doping, but they are still around, with still the same mangers, same sponsors, same doping plans as before. Why are they being allowed to ride the major races?
In the last year, there has been a fallout between the UCI (Union Cycliste Internationale), the governing body for the sport, and the organizers of the major races. Has this fallout given too much power to the organizers to decide who rides in their races and who doesn't? Like a little kid stopping there feet, "I don't wanna play with you anymore Astana, you make me mad! I don't care that you are a different team, you may win my race again and I don't want that to happen! Whaaa!! Whaaa!!"
It makes me mad. But it also makes Levi Leipheimer mad too. He's started a grass roots campaign to have Astana participate in the major cycling races this year. I ask you to sign the petition at the website:
Let Levi Ride. http://letleviride.com/ Cut and paste the website or just click on the link. Sign your email address and let them know we don't stand for this kind of hooey!!
It's only fair. If someone is found doping on the team THIS year, then I will eat my hat. Until then, let them ride!
...

3 comments:
I signed the petition. Please note that the link above doesn't work, just go to letleviride.com :)
I fixed the link, I think. Let me know if there are further problems.
Hey Dan. Had no idea you were such a huge fan. I have been rooting for Levi for year and I agree this is really unfair. I think ASO, who run those tours,m just do Johan and have been looking for way to hurt him and his teams....
Signed the petition this morning!
Post a Comment