Corporate theater. That's what I've been doing for the last week. Corporate theater.
I'm at the NAMM show working in the "Demo Cabin" at the Roland / Boss booth. Here's a picture of the stage I'm lighting.
It's not much, 12 moving lights and some par cans to light the audience.Every half hour, there's a demo of a different Roland or Boss product. The houselights dim, a video "commercial" plays, and then the announcement comes in, "Ladies and Gentlemen, please welcome So and So demonstrating the Boss such and such". The stage lights comes up and a noodles for 15 to 20 minutes, thanks the audience and the house lights come back up.
Every half hour.
The hardest part about the gig thus far, is the atrophy I'm getting in my leg muscles. Trust me, I'm not complaining. These are really good gigs, not too stressful, repetitive, easy work. But they can get really boring. But I guess these gigs offset those really awful gigs where everything is an emergency and there's never a moments rest.
I think the most interesting parts thus far, have been the morning sales meetings and evening rehearsals. Aside from the general session on Wednesday, most of the morning sales meeting have been handled by the Japanese division of the company (I guess that's where they build the bulk of the product). It's been most interesting to watch and listen to everyone practicing their speeches and walking the stage, trying to figure out their blocking.
It goes to show, everything returns back to theater. Having to pitch a product, or rally your sales staff to sell more product, you essentially have to act. You get on stage under the hot lights, wearing a microphone, and play the role of CEO, or sales manager.
Which always makes me wonder, have any of these guys ever taking a voice or acting class? Would that stuff help?
...

No comments:
Post a Comment