So I've been in Korea a week now. It was a rough start for the tour, I don't know if I was jet lagged or just plain tired, but I think I've finally caught up with sleep and am functioning fairly normally today. I've been able to explore some of the city around the hotel and the venue the last couple of days, not to mention eat some pretty delishshish foods. So here's some pictures thus far.
And finally, no Asia trip would be complete without a bowl of noodles. Next to the Korean barbecue place we ate at yesterday, is a small hole in the wall joint that just serves noodles. You've got 4 choices: Not spicy vegetable noodles, spicy vegetable noodles, spicy vegetable noodles with seafood, or spicy vegetable noodles with sausages. We had it for dinner two nights ago and we went back for lunch today. On both occasions I ordered the not spicy vegetable noodles which was still spicy. Mel ordered the spicy noodles on the first visit and spent as much time drinking water as he did soup. Spi-cee! The only thing I didn't like about the place is that everything came doused with nori, or seaweed flakes. yeeech. So when we went for lunch today, I asked the guy who didn't speak a word of English to not put nori on mine. I pointed at the nori in the picture on the menu and waved off a touchdown with my arms. He got the message and you can see above the result. Not spicy noodles without nori. Needless to say, Mel and I will be going back.Food in Korea so far has been hit or miss. I love Asian inspired foods and while I'm here, I want to eat as much of the local foods as I can. However, I'm no Andrew Zimmern, and this is not an episode of Bizarre Foods. I'm not going to be eating beetles or eels anytime soon. I can't even stomach nori. But it just doesn't feel right to me to be in Korea and spend my time trying to search out American foods and restaurants. Granted, the Italian place and this German sausage house near the hotel have been great stops for after show foods. But I'm not like some of the folks on this tour who only eat what they recognize. They're missing out if you ask me.
More updates to come. I'm trying to remember to bring my camera everyday. Monday we are attempting to find a sporting clays course, an adventure I think I've been successful in sorting out. And on Wednesday of next week a bunch of us are going on the tour of the DMZ. We were trying to get on a tour into North Korea, but it looks like you have to apply for a permit 20 days before going. We just aren't here long enough. Damn.
...

2 comments:
Forget the butt - what is going on with the statue in front of it? Do you have a photo from the front?
that garden looks like a cool place to hang out.
Post a Comment