Back when I started in this touring business, I hated Southwest Airlines. Whenever I started a tour and found that my travel plans included flying on Southwest, I knew it was a cheap tour. Southwest was the worst for business travel for a number of reasons. You couldn't reserve a seat, it was a "first come, first served" type of operation, which meant if you even wanted a shot at an aisle seat, you'd have to come to the airport really early to check in for your flight and then stand in line to hopefully be one of the first 30 passengers. Another reason was the cheap fare. A cheap fare meant anyone who could afford to fly would, and 90 percent of them aren't seasoned travelers. Which means that they had no idea of how to pack and would carry on excessive amounts of carry-on baggage and overhead space would be at a premium. Yet another reason to get to the airport 5 hours in advance to stand in line to be one of the first 30 people on the plane.
I was so against Southwest Airlines, that I have a clause in my agreement sheet that states I will not fly on Southwest, and if I have to, I'm given the option to buy out my plane ticket and purchase my own.
But after today's flight to Pittsburgh, Southwest Airlines is looking like the best airlines out there.
U.S. Airways is the only airline that had a direct flight to Pittsburgh today, so I was booked on that. And like most of the big airlines today, U.S. Airways charges for every piece of luggage you check. $15 for the first, $25 for the second, and $100 for the third. Not to mention the over weight fee of $25 per bag if you're over 50 pounds. So if you travel with anything to get anywhere, you're going to be charge a fee of some sort.
There has been a trend away from free food on flights (F.Y.I. Continental Airlines, as fare as I know, still serves hot food on long flights). Most airlines charge you for a snack box or meal of some sort on longer flights.
U.S. Airways, I discovered today, charges for EVERYTHING. You want a turkey sandwich? $7.00 please. Snack box? $5.00 please. 12 ounce can of Coca-Cola? $2.00 please. Wait... $2.o0???? What is this? Do I get free refills with that? Never mind, I just want some water. 16 ounce bottle of Spring water? $2.00 please. WHAT? I can't even have a drink of water for free? You get a bottle of water sir. No, I want nothing, I'm just going sit here and dehydrate instead thank you very much.
This is why Southwest is beginning to look like the best airlines in the sky. Southwest doesn't charge you for baggage. The rules may have changed, but the last time I looked, you get 2 checked in bags, no charge, and two carry-ons. Or you could check 3 bags and then take only one carry-on, no charge. Southwest never offered food to begin with, so they never had to charge extra for food. They do offer drinks, and as far as I know, still don't charge.
But the best part about Southwest, they now offer something called "Business Select". For anywhere from 20 to 50 dollars more, you can purchase a "Business Select" seat, which, guarantees you to be in the first 30 on the plane, which means, you no longer have to show up at the airport 9 hours in advance to stand in line to get on the plane first. Southwest still may have lots of stops to get anywhere, very few direct flights, especially across the country. And you may still have to deal with new traveler with too much crap. But getting on the plane first means you get to select your aisle seat, and get the overhead bin space for you bag, so you are ahead of the newbies.
And that's really all I care about when I fly. I like to sit near the front of the plane, so I can get off quicker. I like to be in the aisle seat because I stand up a lot to at least stretch my legs (I live in great fear of Deep Vein Thrombosis). And I need overhead bin space because I like leg room under the seat in front of me. I don't mind connector flights, I don't always need to fly non-stop... if the above three conditions can be met.
So I think in the future, I'm going to change my Southwest clause to: If I have to fly Southwest, the ticket must be purchased under the "Business Select" fare. And I think, in the future, I may insist on flying Southwest, if things don't change.
But then again, am I going to be flying on business anytime soon?
...

No comments:
Post a Comment