Well, the whole storm that has ensued since Wednesday it talk of Alberto Contador leaving Astana for another team where there is no question he is the leader for the Tour. It's all just talk at the moment, and in interviews, Contador has said there is no indication from the team that he wouldn't be the team leader. But in the same breath says he needs concrete insurance that he is the team leader, or he's gone.
I don't blame the guy. He's in his prime. There is a good chance he would have won it this year had they been invited. Why would he want to give up his chances at winning because one of the greatest cyclist that ever lived wants to come out of retirement and play with the kids again.
The more I think on this, the more I believe it's a mistake for Lance to come out of retirement. If he is doing it to raise global awareness for cancer, great. But don't use that as a mask for his true purpose, which some speculate is to win the Tour again. If he wants my repsect, he rides the other races he hasn't won, the Giro or the Vuelta, and let the new legend, Contador, pick up where he left off... winning the greatest race in the world.
But I don't think Lance can do that. As Manny puts it, "He (Lance) can only do this one way I think... it's how Lance is wired." And that one way is to win the Tour de France.
If it comes to it, and I hope it doesn't, that Bruyneel (the manager of team Astana, and Lance's friend) has to choose between the two, he would do best to pick Contador. If he chooses Lance, it's like taking back an ex. You know how it all functions, but it's a rut.
At this moment, if Contador left Astana, I think my loyalties would go with him. It's time to cheer for the next generation. Lance proved himself.
On an interesting side note, Erik Zabel, one of the great sprinters of the last few years, has decided to hang up his bike at the end of this season, at the age of 38. Lance will be 38 next year when the Tour de France starts. Chew on that for a while.
...

No comments:
Post a Comment