But amazingly, it wasn't a full flight, I actually had an empty seat next to me. I just chalked up the $50.00 as an "upgrade fee" to have the empty seat and called it a day.
U.S. Airways and Southwest Airlines are the only two airlines at Terminal 1 at LAX. This was one of the few times I've been in that terminal and not seen someone I know there, flying in or out on some tour. Because everyone is trying to save a buck, it's not uncommon to see a roadie friend of mine flying some where to start some tour (or coming home from one) on Southwest. Flying out of Terminal 1 to Youngstown, I didn't see anyone I knew, but BMG's production manager knew a bunch of roadies on their way to start a tour somewhere. I don't remember where, but I did chat a bit with the LD, who's name escapes me at the moment. So I guess that counts.
Roadies can be like a dogs, in more ways than one... But the comparison I wish to make now is the ability for one dog to smell out another dog. A roadie can smell out another roadie in an airport. I don't quite know how it works, but you can look at a guy waiting for a flight, and know it's a roadie. There are subtle things that make them stand out, and I'm not even sure I know what they all are, or why. But here's some guesses...
A usual give away is dress. Most roadies will dress either very comfortably, t-shirt and shorts (usually indicating a lighting or sound guy) or will dress very rock-n-roll, black tour t-shirt and jeans with something leather, often a bracelet (usually indicating a backline guy). Granted if they are wearing a t-shirt that says, "crew" somewhere on it, it's a dead give away. More often than not, they are wearing it in hopes some groupie will recognize the band and start a conversation. I was on a tour once where we had a bus driver who never took off his laminate pass. he would be in bars trolling for girls hoping to get leverage because he had on his pass. I doubt it ever worked, and he definitely had no respect from the crew. It's kind of an unwritten rule that you never use your job for leverage. But if it comes up in conversation, then talk all you want.
Another give away that's become more and more common is the use of in-ear monitors as head phones. For those who don't know, in-ear monitors are really expensive and fancy head phones that are molded specifically for a persons ear canals. They are almost solely in use now for live performances. In the old days, there use to be a line of wedge shaped speakers that lined the front edge of a stage. Technology has moved those monitors into your ears which sound just as great and are better for blocking out ambient noise. If you see someone standing in the airport with fancy in-ear monitors with the cable hooking over their ears and running down their back, more than likely they are a roadie (or musician).
Another give away is how they pack. Just like business travellers, roadies, I think, are becoming more and more sensitive to carry on luggage and most will do their best to travel lightly. I know that if I'm doing a U.S. tour, I put everything I can in the trucks when they leave the lighting shop to go to the first gig, I don't want to carry anything or put anything onto the plane that I don't need in the first 24 hours. By then, I'm at the gig with a truck being empty of gear and my stuff. You can usually tell a roadie because they have one carry-on, often black, and it's usually just big enough to carry their computer, iPod, in-ear monitors and a book or magazines. Check the rest of it. And if my bag is lost on the other end, there's a WalMart somewhere that I can buy a pair of underwear and t-shirt until the truck arrives. I toured with "Angry" Joe Gallagher on Luther Vandross. This was long before all the stupid traveling rules and fees were put into place. Even back then, Angry Joe travelled light. I remember getting on an 11 hour flight back from England and all he carried on with him was a book that he didn't read. He just sat there for 11 hours staring forward, or sleeping. I was very impressed.
And tattoos. Tattoos are always a give away. Like a merchant marine.
In case you are wondering, the only thing I think that gives me away as a traveling roadie is the carry on bag. In the last few years, I've felt that what is missing from airline travel is a certain amount of dress up. I remember as a kid, flying to Minnesota with my family, I had to wear a nice shirt, pants and shoes. I seem to remember my dad wearing a sport coat of some sort (tan corduroy). I'm not a big fan of people who show up in slippers and swim trunks to board a plane. It just doesn't seem right. There is a whole market out there for travel clothes and there's lots of stuff that looks good and is comfortable too. That would describe my entire flight outfit. I have a comfortable pair of Duluth Travel Pants, I'll wear a button shirt of some sort (the chest pocket has become almost indispensable for me), and my one of my two (one, two) travel/sports jackets. I used to have a nice pair of comfortable slip on shoes that I would wear, but with the stupid rule of removing your shoes through security, I now option for a nice pair of sandals. I can honestly say, I think I get better treatment dressed nicely. I've not gotten any kind of free upgrade (yet), but people seem more willing to help me. And only once (flying to Pittsburgh) have I ever been stopped from boarding ahead of my row or boarding group (fortunately, one of the guys I was traveling with was in boarding group 2 so I was allowed on with him).
Next time you're in an airport, see if you can spot the roadie, more often than not, you'll be correct.
...

No comments:
Post a Comment