Eh Brah, where you stay?

Altadena, CA. Hopefully I can post a map of Europe sometime this summer.
...
View My house in a larger map

16 September, 2008

Unplug.

I'm sitting here watching the devolution of man. If you believe in Darwinism and evolution (if you are a creationist reading my blog I'm sure you are familiar with the other theory), we started out as primordial soup, became a toad, then a monkey, then a stooped over Homo Erectus, then the up right walking Homo Sapien that we are now. But as I sit here at front of house, surrounded by director tables full of laptops, I realize we are heading backwards and becoming stooped over humans. If only I had my camera I could take a picture of all the people around me hunkered over, neck craning downward looking at their laptop screen. I remember hearing somewhere that laptops are bad for your posture because it causes you to lean over. And here I sit, no better than my brethren. I'm crouching over my laptop to write this blog.

And I find it ironicial that I'm about to write a blog about unplugging from my computer, but here I go.

Every now and again, I feel too plugged into the interwebs and my computer. It is not uncommon for people to show up out here at front of house, sit at one of the tables, plug in their laptop and then spend the rest of the day surfing around, answering emails, and generally conducting their entire lives (business and personal, think "facebook") in cyberspace.

I know I'm not the first one to notice this, nor am I the first one to write a blog or article about it. But it does occur to me that I need to unplug.

Since being home for a spell, I find myself less and less in front of my computer, and more and more up and about doing other things. When I get up in the morning, I go through the my routine of checking my email, responding to some of them, checking a number of websites for news and other tidbits, and then walking away, to do other things. Clean the house, walk the dog, watch TV, talk to Nicole. And with Sean Patrick on the way, I'm sure I'm going to pull the socket out of the wall even further, or at least change what I do on the computer. More pictures and videos downloads, followed by more emails to friends featuring the fussy face of Sean Patrick.

All I know is, right now, I'm not going to be one of these people around me, stuck to their computer from the moment they get to the venue to the moment they leave. There's nothing out there on the internet that I have to keep surfing through for 12 hours. I'm gonna step outside and experience something different.

Like the weather.


...

2 comments:

jade said...

As long as you continue to blog.

Anonymous said...

loyalty to the fan club.