It would be fair to say that the demise of Rome has been floating around in the back of my brain. It surfaced on Tuesday when I was programming lights for "Miss Pole Star 2009". Yes, it's exactly what you think. It's a contest to find the best pole dancer. 6 dancers were left:
And like in the movie Gladiator, the choice for who stayed on the show and who was "voted" off, was left to the collected crowd of people. And to accent the point, there was a "thumbs up, thumbs down" vote that happened.
You know our society on a downward spiral when reality shows lead the ratings, and reality games shows like "Jingles" and "Miss Pole Star 2009" are taped for mass consumption. Are we on the precipice of the American society tumbling downwards? Need more evidence?
How about a stripping little person (or midget for you less than politically correct folk).
Normally, for shows with live audiences, there's a warm up person, usually a comedian who entertains, the waiting crowd, gives out free stuff, and gives out the rules for being in the audience (cheer loudly, listen to direction, turn off cell phones, etc.). For "Miss Pole Star" we had a stripping little person. I think I'm looking over the cliff, preparing for the downward spiral.
I don't want to be all gloom and doom. I actually had a good time during the filming. The dancers only performed for 30 seconds each and then had a "dance off" to determine the top dancer and the bottom dancer... voted for by a show of thumbs. Programming was a little chaotic because we had no direction from anyone and during rehearsal, they just went from scene to scene without stopping to let lighting adjust. So everything was done on the fly and as long as no one was standing in the dark we were fine. Note for future television directors: Don't put the palest blond person next to an African American on camera. Makes for a hell of a day for the lighting people.
As for today... I'm at my regular weekly gig, Mun2. We shoot 5 shows on the one day we're all here. They're tight on budget, so they keep cutting people and days in an attempt to save money. But here's some pictures of the different sets we shoot on.
The first show they shoot everyday is called "Crash and Yasmin Uncensored".
The next show they shoot is called "What Up PPL".
Yarel is also the host for "Reventon", and "Reventon top 10".
The last show we shoot is called "One Nation".
Monday I start a little pre-viz work with Manny for a show we're working on in Orange County. I'll have more to report then...
...

No comments:
Post a Comment