Twice in recent memory have I not been home in Hawai'i for New Years Eve. For New Years Eve 1998, I did a Luther Vandross show in Atlantic City. At midnight, they stopped the show, brought us champagne and everyone sang "Auld Lang Syne". Then cheered, and then Luther finished the set. New Years Eve 2000 found me sitting at a console on Long Island, New York with Andrea Bocelli. The show ended by 10PM so everyone could get to the real parties, so at midnight, they handed out flashlights and we all held our breath and waited to see if all the computers would fail. They didn't.
New Years Eve in Hawai'i is almost as fun a Christmas, it just involves a lot of fireworks. Every year, at my dad's house we have a barbecue and fireworks. It originally wasn't a big deal. I just wanted to cook some meat and blow up some stuff, and had friends come over if they had nothing better to do. But now, it's sort of an institution. We have a regular crowd that shows up, including all the brothers and family.
Every year we spend more and more money on fireworks.
Normally, it would be the brothers and the adult male friends who would set off the bulk of the fireworks. There were some kids around, and they set off some, but more often than not they would be fast asleep when midnight rolled around. This year was a bit of a changing of the guards.
We were missing one regular this year. Our friend Brian and his wife Jenn alternate years between Hawai'i, where Brian is from, and New Mexico where Jenn is from. This year was New Mexico, but that didn't stop us from getting the phone call from Brian being sad about missing the fun. This next video is for you Brian.
Every year Brian is with us, he brings his own "boogie board". But instead of lighting each piece separately, he goes in my dads kitchen, tears out a big sheet of tinfoil and wraps all the fireworks up in that, then throws a lit pack of Morning Glories on top. This year, Ray took on the challenge of "The Bomb". I told you Morning Glories make great fuses.
A few years back, people complained about the dangers of aerial fireworks, so the government banned them. Which was fine, they were pretty dangerous because they embers often landed on houses and what not and sometime started fires. But within the last 3 or 4 years, the black market has made a real killing on aerial fireworks, especially on the neighbors who live in the house on the hill behind my dad.
The above video was shot at midnight, hence the sustained aerial bursts. But from about 7PM when it get's dark until midnight, there is a constant barrage of aerials exploding behind my dad's house. And it's not just them, they're all over. I've had people come from all over the island tell us the same thing, the aerials and fireworks in general are the worst in Kane'ohe (my hometown). In the video you can also hear our neighbors across the street setting off strings of firecrackers.
By midnight the air is acrid with the stench of gun powder and sulfur. There is a smoke so dense you can barely see across the street. The only safe haven is in the house, where the wives and children recess to by 10PM when the smoke starts to build. I joked this year that when I die, you'll be able to tell my age by cutting my lung open and counting the smoke rings imbedded in there from each New Years Eve.
New Year Eve has always been like this in Hawai'i. My dad has pictures of us boys holding sparklers and were not more than 5 or 6 years old. I've always known New Years Eve like this. And I always want to know New Years Eve like this. I want Sean Patrick to know it too, at least for a few years of his young life, before he finds his own traditions.
...

1 comment:
Fantastic post... seeing the video of the homemade bomb nearly brought tears to my eyes. Woe is me... how much I missed out on this year.
One thing, though -- next year I'm going to claim the firecrackers back for the older generation. Daiei (or whatever it's called these days) better be well-stocked for me next year, because here I come!
Post a Comment