Eh Brah, where you stay?

Altadena, CA. Hopefully I can post a map of Europe sometime this summer.
...
View My house in a larger map

03 March, 2009

It's Never Too Early To Train A Baby.

One would think, after a week in the spooky part of Long Beach, why would I want to return? Well, because in the non-spooky part of Long Beach lies the Aquarium of the Pacific, and Nicole thought it would be fun to take Sean Patrick to look at the fishes. We've notice lately that he likes to track things with his eyes, and a bunch of fish swimming around might be fun for him to track. Not to mention, we can get a deal where you get a discount for the L.A. Zoo. Which will be another blog, when ever we get there.

I think my dad is a really smart guy. So I attribute a lot of what I think are better ideas to him. And I think one of the best idea he's implanted in me is, get there early, get out before the crowd shows up. So that's what we did Sunday morning, we left the house early (although 1/2 hour late by my watch) at 8:30AM to arrive at the opening bell of the Aquarium at 9:00AM. We walked in the the front door and proceeded to the first tank. Here's a thing to note about taking a baby to the aquarium, it's probably best to take them out of the stroller and strap them on you with a carrier of some sort. The stroller can take up a lot of room, while this is good for shopping malls, it's not so good for aquariums. Also, because the kid sits so low, he/she can't often get a good look in the tank. So we strapped Sean Patrick to me so he could enjoy more.For the most part, he did. I think he's going to be quite a lighting designer when he grows up because he seemed more interested in the fish in the brighter tanks than some of the darker tanks. Fish the moved fast keep him interested, while slower fish usually resulted in a few kicks to my stomach and a whine of some sort.But the highlight of the day (for me at least) was the tourist trap called the "Lorikeet Forest". I say tourist trap because I'm not sure what a "forest" of Lorikeet birds have to do with an Aquarium. I could understand an aviary with shore birds in it, or penguins, not a tropical jungle bird. And to highlight the trap, for 3 dollars you could buy a thimble full of Lorikeet food and feed the birds. Trap. Well, we spent the 3 bucks thinking it would be fun for Sean Patrick to get a close up look at a bird.But as you can see, he didn't care. I, on the other hand, had fun. I was watching these parents and children chase around birds, trying to get them to land on their hands an eat from the thimble. One of the caretakers had to go and get a bird and put it on one of the ladies hands so it would eat. I just walked up to four birds hanging on the fence, held out my cup and one came ate, then walked up my arm to my shoulder, while another bird polished off the thimble.All the while, Sean Patrick staring into space, paying not one single ounce of time to any of the bird. A couple of kicks to the stomach and we were off.

It paid off to get there early (thanks Dad!), because by the time we were walking out the door at 11:15AM, the place was packed, and I mean packed. 6 people deep looking into every tank. Where's the fun in that?

Sean Patrick, there's an Irish name if I've ever heard one. So I thought, why not start him on understanding his Irish heritage. To do this, we took him to an Irish pub near the Aquarium. I had eaten at this pub a few times during the week since it is also near the venue, and I knew the Guinness flowed smooth, and the shepherds pie was heaven.So we introduced Sean Patrick to both. Oh, and HP Sauce. Love me some HP on fries and shepherds pie. Don't worry we didn't feed Sean Patrick any solid foods or let him sip the Guinness. But Nicole had a Guinness since the rumour is that it's good for breast feeding.Hmmmm.... Maybe I shouldn't have had a sip. My breasts are pretty big as it is...

So we stuffed ourselves until our stomach were so full, we had to undo the top button on our pants and let the belly button watch TV. I felt the need to do a little exercise to work off the meal, so I did baby curls.One!
Two!
One!
Two!One!
Two!

Okay, enough of that, let's go home.


...

No comments: