6:30 PM, the doors are supposed to open to the house for the audience to come and sit.
6:25PM, my radio crackles with the voice of the video director wanting me to bring up a song look that they were having trouble with at the last show. My first instinct is, "Why didn't you ask me about this earlier?" And my second, was to go to the lighting console and bring the look up (Did I mention that on this show I control video and lighting? Another blog...)
6:29PM, problem not solved, the debate ensues, "There's something wrong with the lighting console," To which I respond, "There's nothing wrong with the console, I haven't changed a thing." This goes back and forth until...
6:50PM, doors have been held because of other reasons, not our back and forth about who's changed something or who's computer is wrong, but now it's time to open doors.
6:51PM, doors have opened and I walk away from the console. I get downstairs to the video area where I'm told they figured out what the problem is. A few days ago, they changed the video card in the camera that they were having trouble with, but they didn't change the system settings to recognize the new card.
Once again, proving that it's not my fault. A lighting console is a smart piece of equipment, if I tell it do something, it will do it, even if I tell it the wrong thing. The console has no opinion of it's own or it's own mind to change, "No Dan, I think bringing up fixtures 203 through 205 is a bad choice, therefore, I'm bringing up different fixtures." The console will bring up 203 through 205.
So if the show has been working for while now, without me changing anything, how can we think the console changed it?
Not my/our fault. I didn't change anything. What did you change? A video card?
...

No comments:
Post a Comment