I remember 8th grade art class. The teacher was kind of strange (then I got into art at a later age and understood why), and she always had interesting projects for us to do. Although most kids didn't really participate because she usually had grand ideas of showing the art we produced to the school. In 8th grade you always worry about what other people think, and you certainly don't want anyone judging something created by you that was supposed to be "art".
But there was one project that she had us do that I seem to remember most of my classmates participating in. One day, she handed everyone a 8 inch square of muslin cloth and said, "This weeks project is to come up with a designer label using your initials," She got the glossy "art" eyes and continued, "Imagine if you will, that you are designing a new pair of jeans and you want to put your initials on rear pockets. How would you want that to look?" I looked around the room and I saw peoples minds start working. Normally the girls would participate in any art project while the boys were always more interested in not doing art. But this time, the boys were thinking hard too.
And then she said the one thing that she always says that makes most of the students not want to participate, "And then we'll sew all your muslin squares together to make a quilt and show it to the rest of the students." I saw some of the boys shut off, but most were still interested.
So I thought hard. It was a two day project. We had art class on Tuesdays and Thursdays, so one day to come up with a design, and one day to create it on the muslin. The design I came up with that day, I still have and use today.
For some reason, I liked the idea of having sort of rough paint brush strokes, where it wasn't defined edges, but rather, like some one quickly swiped these lines. Like painting your butt. I don't know what ever became of my final muslin square, but here's a picture I just drew of what the design sort of looked like.
In 8th grade, to me, that was sexy, very hot. I'd want that on the pocket of my jeans.
Today, not so much.
But that design has stuck with me. I still use it today, mostly when someone hands me a contract or car rental agreement and says, "Initial here." When I first started using it, I was careful to make all three letter readable. Over time, the "DKB" has devolved into this:
I'm still proud of the original design. I find it amazing that something like that has stuck with me all these years. Maybe I'm just reminiscing because I recently turned 40. Nicole won't let me buy a motorcycle or fast car, which I guess I'm supposed to do when I turn middle aged. Hey honey, how about a shotgun or another racing bicycle? If not, I guess I'll keep reminiscing.
I put it to you, what has stuck with you since the 8th grade? Hopefully, a happy memory like the one I have of coming up with my hot sexy designer label.
...

2 comments:
original kinda looks like a tepee. but i'd wear those jeans....
please don't make us wait a month for blog updates!!!
Post a Comment