For those who don't know what Santa Ana's are, they're very warm strong winds that blow in off the desert to L.A.'s northwest. It happens every year around the start of fall. The winds are strong enough to topple trees, and knock out power lines.
I remember the day two weeks ago when it happened, I was sitting in the office doing work on an commercial shoot that landed in my lap (next blog) when around 4 in the afternoon, I heard the first wind blow through. I looked out my window and in the distance I could see a wall of dust and debris heading my way. My first thought was a sand storm in Baghdad. Normally it's just wind, but since the Station Fire burned down all the brush in the hills and valleys above us, there was nothing left to keep down the dust and ashes. It was all in the air and heading our way.
It made for a long night. Every now and again, you'd hear the house buffeted by a blast of wind, and you'd hear branches from the surrounding trees creak in the wind. The ladders I had leaning up on the back of the house would thump when the wind would pick them up and drop them back against the wall.
Ah the Santa Ana's. I'm sure there will be more this season, but at least we survived the first round with no damage. But here's some photo's of the aftermath.
Here's a picture of the mountain behind our house. You can't really see it in the picture, but there's still a dust cloud lingering around from all the loose dirt and soot.

No comments:
Post a Comment