Eh Brah, where you stay?

Altadena, CA. Hopefully I can post a map of Europe sometime this summer.
...
View My house in a larger map

18 November, 2009

Design Fee = New Toy.


Where do I fly in February? I was looking at my Continental Airlines frequent flier account and after our trip to Hawai'i this Christmas, I'm going to be roughly 4000 miles short of keeping my elite status. I want to fly to their hub in Newark, that way, if I'm wrong on the mileage count, I've put in the most possible miles at the cheapest fare. I'd fly back to Hawai'i, but somehow I don't think that'll be as cheap as flying to Newark.

The only reason I speak of this is because I'm sitting in the Presidents Lounge at LAX waiting for my flight to Washington D.C. in a couple of hours. Going to do a Robin Williams special for HBO. Look for it in December.

This is also the first blog on the new toy. With my design fee that I got from Eminem in New Orleans, I was able to get a new MacBook Pro 17" laptop. It was much needed. I've had a G4 for years, and it just became time to move on up. So far.... I like it.

We the design fee I got for the 48 hours I spent in New Orleans with Eminem, I was able to get the new toy. People always joke that when you buy a new computer it's obsolete the moment it goes leaves the store. Which is sort of true, that's why I like to buy the latest and greatest just to make sure. I souped it up with the fastest available chip and the most RAM I could stuff into it. Should be a reasonable computer for at least 4 years (fingers crossed)

Although I am a little perturbed at Apple for what I think was an "up-sell". I went to a couple of Mac stores in the area to find out about transferring all my data from my old G4 to my new MacBook. The first store wasn't very helpful, I think I caught the salesman off guard since I know a little bit about Mac and he's probably used to spending his day trying to convince PC users to convert. The second store's salesman told me that in order for me to transfer my information over, I had to sign up for their "One-To-One" service, which is like personalized classes that you can take with a single instructor.

When I bought the computer online (we got money sent to Upromise because of it) I also signed up for the one-to-one since I thought I needed it. I signed up for my class to transfer my information. The only day I had to do it was yesterday, before today's flight.

I got to the store, sat down with the instructor "kid". I say kid because now that I'm 40, I'm middle aged and everyone else is a "kid". Although this guy was really a kid. He couldn't have been over 22. I told him the entire reason I signed up was to get my data transferred over and for him to show me how.

Turns out, they don't show you how, they do it for you by taking your computer for up to 48 hours. Seeing as I'm flying today, I couldn't leave my computer for that long. He went and searched out a manager to see if there was anything they could do to help. As they hemmed and hawed, I said, "Is there anyway you can just show me how to do it?" They looked at each other and said, "Sure, it's really easy," you just need to buy this $35 cable.

Want to know how easy? Plug the cable into both computers. Turn on the old computer and hold down "t" until it the firewire symbol comes up. Then turn on your new computer and follow the set up instructions until, get this, it asks you, "Do you want to transfer data from an old computer?" Click yes, follow instructions to choose data, wait an hour or so and... ta da! All your old files and applications are on the new computer.

Yep, didn't need the one-to-one classes, just needed the cable and someone to tell me how to do it. I also noticed when I cracked open the box for the first time during my one-to-one session, it tells me right there in the "quick start" guide, how to do it! UGH. Well, at least I have these sessions and I may use them for advanced classes on some of the applications I don't know well. Stay tuned.


...

2 comments:

jade said...

If only I had known - I could have told you without hiring the kid to teach you.

carla said...

life is a trip, isn't it?