Eh Brah, where you stay?

Altadena, CA. Hopefully I can post a map of Europe sometime this summer.
...
View My house in a larger map

29 November, 2009

My Stock Market...

Since moving to Los Angeles in 1993 to go to school, I have not missed a Christmas in Hawai'i yet. I've missed a few New Year Eve's, but that's always been for work. Even flew out to a gig on Christmas day. But opening presents on Christmas morning and being with family, I've not missed yet.

This year is no exception. It's always expensive to fly to Hawai'i during the holidays. But last year it started getting really expensive since we now buy a third seat for Sean Patrick. Yes, we could put him in our laps and fly with him that way, but it's just more comfortable for everyone if we strap his car seat into the window seat and pull him out only when necessary.

We were supposed to go to Hawai'i for Sean Patrick's birthday, but I ended up getting on the Maxwell tour, so we took the tickets we bought for that trip and applied them to are tickets for Christmas.

The beginning of October is not the optimal time to be buying plane tickets to Hawai'i. Airlines tend to jack the prices right about then since that's right about the time everyone is thinking, "I wanna go to Hawai'i for Christmas."

So this year, I went to Kayak.com and put in a search for the possible dates that we'd be flying to Hawai'i. And it's sort of become my stock market.You'll probably have to click on the above picture to enlarge it, but as you can see, there's a little graph on the top of the page that shows you the fluctuation for the price of the plane tickets to Hawai'i. The current price you see, is more than what I paid (and don't ask, I'm not telling you what I paid). There was a few days where the price dipped below and I was kicking myself a bit, but so far, I've paid less than the average.

We did have to buy our tickets on Continental since I had the credit to apply from Sean Patrick's birthday tickets. And that was a tough one since Continental is often not the cheapest airlines.

I look at each airline as a different stock. And like the stock market, you have to guess when it's "buy low" and so far, I think I've guess right.

If you don't play the stock market, this may be a safe way for you to have some similar fun. Try it!


...

1 comment:

carla said...

if i may add a tip:
buy two one-way tickets.
sometimes it's cheaper.
dunno with the holidays???