Eh Brah, where you stay?

Altadena, CA. Hopefully I can post a map of Europe sometime this summer.
...
View My house in a larger map

22 December, 2007

Two Days Off the Grid.

Wondering where I've been? Nicole and I just spent two amazing days "off the grid" on the island of Lana'i at the Four Seasons Lodge at Koele. In a word, stunning.

The initial reason for going to Lana'i was selfish on my part. They have the Lana'i Pine Sporting Clay course there, and I wanted to shoot it. But seeing as I know my wife, saying to her, "How about a quick get away to a Four Seasons Resort while we are visiting my family?" And then mumbling right after, "plus I can shoot sporting clays while we're there," usually will get a resounding, "YES! Wait, what did you say?"

It didn't matter, I got the "YES!" and we booked the flight and hotel to the "privately owned" island of Lana'i. I put "privately owned" with quotes because that's how it is sold to the tourists. It's not really "privately owned". Yes, most of the land belongs to the conglomerate of Castle and Cooke, and yes, they can pretty much do anything they like. But that doesn't mean there aren't people living there and a little city with"privately owned" homes. Even my aunt has a couple of vacation rentals there. But it's longer to print in the brochure, "Mostly, a privately owned island, since the pineapple plantations have closed".

No matter, Nicole and I were there and loving it. I won't go into detail now about any of it, I'm just whetting your appetite. Okay, the real reason is because I forgot my camera sync cable and I don't want to write anything about the hotel or the sporting clays course unless I can back it up with pictures. Although I don't remember taking many pictures of the amazing grounds at the Lodge, but we got some great shots of the sporting clays, wobble trap and compact sporting clays courses!

I will tell you this much, Nicole and I are going back. Not just for the sporting clays, but for the whole experience. If you ever want to unplug from the world, sit in a beautiful and serene place, but still get room service, the Lodge at Koele is the place for you!

No comments: