Eh Brah, where you stay?

Altadena, CA. Hopefully I can post a map of Europe sometime this summer.
...
View My house in a larger map

05 October, 2008

Snorus.

They say that when a woman is pregnant, it's almost like she has a permanent cold. She always sounds stuffed up, and feels low on energy. Nicole is no exception. It's 4AM and I'm awake for two reasons - Nicole and the dog. It began to sound like a snoring contest between the two of them, a "Snorus" (snore + chorus) if you will. Nicole would inhale with a rumble, the dog would exhale with a rumble. I'm actually sitting in the office now and can hear them. It's cute, I'm not complaining. In all fairness, I did go to bed rather early yesterday. I was tossing and turning trying to fall back asleep but it didn't work out and I thought I should write a blog while I had, if I can use the expression, quite time.

Sean Patrick is due on Thursday, so be prepared for this blog to be a little scarce for a couple of weeks while we get our lives situated. It's an exciting time and I'm truly looking forward to holding the little guy in my arms. I'm not looking forward to diaper changes. I have a hard enough time picking up after the dog when he gets in the trash or eats grass. But I also understand it comes with the territory so I'm a prepared as I can be.

I don't really have much to say that's new, but there are a few things that I've been meaning to post, even if it doesn't make for a whole post. So here go the tidbits.

-

My dad sent me an interesting link in reference to my last blog about the website called fivethirtyeight. This website is called Network - A National Catholic Social Justice Lobby. The link he sent me can be found here, it's a really interesting chart that breaks down the Networks position on issues and the candidates positions on the same issues. Have a look, it's pretty interesting.

-

I've also been meaning to respond to some of the comments left on my blog, so here's the answers-
Yes.
No.
Yes.
No.
Look at the pot calling the kettle black.
What do you mean Flash Gordon approaching?

The answers are in no particular order so please apply them to any questions you may have had and/or left in the comments.

-

And finally something I promised Manny a few days ago. Sorry I didn't get to it. After you kicked my butt on the ride the other day, I could lift a finger to type on my computer, much less play my video game. But here are some of the rules, and my thoughts on riding and living on a tour bus.

Rules - unwritten but widely accepted:

- Don't poop on the bus. Only pee.

- Don't fall asleep in the lounges, that's what your bunk is for. If you do fall asleep (even if it's alcohol induced) you are fair game for graffiti on your face, trimming of you eyebrows or mustache, and any other prank that can be pulled without you waking up.

- After about a week, the bay space is set. Don't put your bag somewhere different each time because when you do, you move everyone else's stuff around. Don't be surprised if you come out and discover you bags aren't where you left them. It's probably because you put them where someone was used to putting theirs. Commonly, it's better to put your bags on the passenger side because when the bus pulls up to a hotel, that will be curbside. If you like having space and don't want to play the bag dance, put your stuff on the drivers side. You'll just have to deal with traffic whizzing by.

- Bunk choice can be determined by a number of ways, check with your production manager or "bus mom" to see what the method is. Here are some common methods. A) First come, first served. When the bus pulls up to the hotel or venue for the first time, the first person on the bus gets to choose. B) Seniority. If you are new to a tour, you often get to pick last if the tour has been going for sometime, or the crew has been together for a while. C) Bunk chart posted in production office. This method is similar to the seniority method because newbies are often scratched and moved if they are in the bunks of long time roadies.

- Not a rule, but here's my opinion on the best bunks. Most crew buses will have 12 bunks, 6 per side stacked three high. Sometimes, you'll get on a luxury tour, that has 8 bunks also known as "condos". If you get condos, every bunk is good. But if you get regular bunks, here's my choices:
1-passenger middle front, 2-passenger middle back, 3-driver middle front, 4- driver middle back, 5 - passenger bottom front, 6- passenger bottom back, 7- driver bottom front, 8- driver bottom back, 9-12 any top bunk, passenger side first. In my opinion, middle bunks are the best because they are the easiest to get in and out of. Passenger side first, because most roads always lean outward (toward the curb), that when the bus is rolling or is stopped at the curb, it will often lean slightly. Passenger side, you'll lean to the wall of the bus. Bottom bunks are fine for me because I'm fat and I don't like having to climb up to, or jump out of, a top bunk. The drawbacks to bottom bunks are that they are the coldest bunks on the bus, and you wake up with stinky feet and shoes by your face. And top bunks, see above.

- After show food and bus stock. It's up to the "bus mom" to get food stocked on the bus. Bus moms are democratically elected by the ridership of said bus. Often, bus moms run unopposed because no one really wants the job. the job of bus mom does come with perks, for example, you can veto an poor choice of bus stock, or make adjustments for the common good of the ridership. If someone is asking for something no one else on the bus will want, there's no point in getting it because it's not sharable. And speaking of which, if you put anything on the bus stock list, it's not just for you, if you put smoothies on there, don't get mad if someone else drinks one or two. And feel free to drink someone else's gatorade. It's all public property.
After show food is chosen by the production assistant and you are not allowed to complain if you get pizza 3 days in a row. Most PA's make some effort to change it up, but when you are playing in Backwater USA, often the only place open at 10PM is the pizza joint. If there is something you think everyone would enjoy, or know of a great place in a certain city (The Saltlick, near Austin, for example) Feel free to suggest it to the PA.

- Another perk of being bus mom, setting the temperature. Bus temperature should hover around 68 to 70 degrees. I know there are a ton of people out there who would like it warmer on the bus and often a thermostat war takes place, but for the good of the ridership, that is the optimal temperature. Mostly because it keeps colds and other viruses from spreading. It also keeps down the stink in the the bunk area. And believe me, it can get pretty stink. If 68 it too cold for you, put on some clothes. If you make it too warm for some, you don't want to see them walking around naked. It's easier to put on clothes or get an extra comforter out of the bay than it is to take off clothes and not sweat.


That's about it for now, I'm gonna go see if I can fall back asleep...


...

No comments: