The end of this tour is a mix of blessings and curses. A blessing that it's over and I get to go home for a few days. But a curse because it's not really over and I still have to go to Paris and Korea. But it's a blessing that it's Paris and Nicole is joining me. It's a curse because I can't upgrade to Business class to Korea. But a blessing because the tour has routed me through Hawai'i to Korea so I get about 8 days with my family at the end. A curse because we still have two days of rehearsals, so I'm not really going home until Wednesday. But still a blessing because it's finally over!
It's been a bit of a rough end. We've done a 5 in a row all in the Northeast of the country. We did a show last night on Long Island which is the closest we'll ever get to New York City. And since Blue Man is based in the Big Apple, most of the big wigs had to come show face and press palms. The stress level in the room was definitely high. And it certainly doesn't help that the Nassau Coliseum where we played is strong union. So strong that they get in each others way and nothing gets done quickly. It's always strange that there's three unions and one union, the I.B.E.W., all they do is tie in power and run two cables. Nice.
But it's almost over, I get to go home. The end, sleep will come.
But I think the most important news of the weekend has been the surprise invite of Astana to the Giro D'italia. Back on my soap box with me. But I should point out that back in February, Astana was told that they can't ride any races promoted by both companies that run the Giro and the Tour de France. So far, Astana has been left out of most of the big name races in the season. But everything else they've been allowed to enter, they've won handily. Including this weekends ProTour event, the Tour de Romandie, which was won by Andreas Kloden.
They (Astana) have already stated that they will put their three best riders, Leipheimer, Contador, and Kloden on the start line in Sicily. I don't know that they will win, but perhaps they will do well. They haven't prepared properly. But in any case, it's a big F/U to the ASO (the people who manage the Tour de France). Their one big ally in Italy basically says, "We were wrong to not invite you Astana. Please come, you truly are the best team in the sport of cycling."
Which has led conspiracy theorist to put forth the theory that the ASO will also invite Astana, but not until the last minute, thus giving them less of a chance to win because they are unprepared and worn out from winning and working hard all season.
Damn conspiracy theorists. I think they will stick to their guns and Astana will sit out the Tour de France this year. But they will have egg on their face for being the only ones who excluded the best team in cycling.
The End.
...

No comments:
Post a Comment