Eh Brah, where you stay?

Altadena, CA. Hopefully I can post a map of Europe sometime this summer.
...
View My house in a larger map

13 September, 2009

Days 1 Thru 6.

Maxwell load in started on Monday. Here's 6 pictures of the six days of load in (so far).Day one. Lifts in the room and the riggers are rigging. There's still lots to do. My goal for the day was to see all the lights in the lighting truss work. They didn't fly to trim, but they were working when I left (at a reasonable hour).


Day Two. Trusses are finally going to trim, as are the sound clusters. The riggers still have to do the rigging for the moving video wall. Yep, this tour has a moving video wall. It sits about 10 feet from the downstage edge, and opens and closes for the different acts. 16, count 'em 16 two ton motors to hold this sucker up. That's 32 tons or, 64,000 pounds. They actually had to wait until day 3 to start hanging the wall because an independent engineer had to come in and certify that the roof could hold the weight. Not just the video wall, but all the lights, sound, drapes, and truss as well. What was my goal for day two? To not have my butt fall asleep in the chair. Well, there was more for me to do, I've got a lot of new equipment I've not worked with before and spent most of the day learning the new toys.


Day Three. They got half of the video wall hung, and the rest of the stage was built. You can't see it, but there is a long "Y" shaped ramp that comes off the front of the stage. The lighting guys set out all the floor lights, which includes a bunch of LED colour bars along the ramps, hence the red glow in the room. My goal for day three, test the floor lights and keep playing with the new toys.


Day four. They got the entire video wall hung, and only half of it working, so that night, I had half a video wall to throw images up on and learn about how it all interfaces. They hung some drapes too.


Day five. The pieces are coming together. All the big bits are working, video screen online, and moving. You can't tell, but I've gotten control of some of the cameras and am practicing putting images on the video walls. The goal for today was to get presets for the video wall and interfacing with the "Encore" system set on the lighting console. The other goal was to stay up as late as possible since starting on Monday, I'm going to be up all night programming with the lighting designer.


And finally, day 6. Really just me touching up stuff and messing around with the gear, practicing practicing practicing. I did take a moment to take a picture of me taking a picture of the video screen of me taking a picture. Always strange when you have a camera set up behind you.

I might disappear again, it all depends on how programming goes. I might be choosing to spend my off time sleeping instead of typing. When the tour gets going, I'm sure I'll be posting more.

Until then...


...

No comments: