Eh Brah, where you stay?

Altadena, CA. Hopefully I can post a map of Europe sometime this summer.
...
View My house in a larger map

13 September, 2009

T.O. Food.

I've been told that Toronto likes to think of itself as the New York City of Canada. And since New York City goes by NYC, Toronto likes to go by T.O. (Toronto, Ontario). I have to put the periods in because if I don't it looks like I'm yelling, "TO".

I like Toronto. It's got that big city feel, but not unsafe. They do have a fair number of good restaurants in the area. I remember walking over to the arts district a few years back and having quite a nice tapas meal. But there is one place I always visit, for at least one meal, while I'm here. I could never remember the name of it, I just knew it was on the edge of the food court at the big mall in downtown T.O..I know the name now. Richtree Market Restaurant. The concept is not unique. It's basically a large, nicely decorated cafeteria, where you get food freshly made, and if so inclined, made to order. I've been there twice since landing in T.O.. I go every time I come. The prices are high, but not as high as on my first night in town this time.

I got in to the hotel around 8:30PM last Sunday, after decompressing a bit and talking with the wife, I went out in search of food. Here's one difference between NYC and T.O., NYC has lots of late night eateries. I wasn't picky, so I went to the Subway I saw on the drive in. I got to the door and tried to enter... locked. I looked at the business hours sign, "Sunday, 11:00AM - 10:00PM." I looked at my watch, 9:47PM. I looked at the clerks behind the counter, they waved me off, mouthing "We're closed." I shook my head, showed them my watch and stalked off. I was pretty mad because I had my heart set on a turkey and ham foot long. I walked around the city and found, not two blocks away, another Subway, this time the "Open" sign was on so I rushed in. There were two other people ahead of me, but they were doing there best to close, and I think I was the last person in. They had cleared off most of the food from the sandwich station but were still willing to serve me. So I asked for my turkey and ham foot long. I think the lady heard me wrong because she proceeded to make me a chicken and bacon foot long. Didn't matter, I was hungry, so I grabbed a bag of chips and drink and made it a combo. How much? $15.00 Canadian! When the U.S. dollar was strong against the Canadian, that wouldn't have been a big deal, but with the weakness of the dollar, that basically translates one to one. I paid $15.00 for a sandwich and a bag of chips. I'd have done better ordering room service!

Back to Richtree. My favorite "section" is the southeast Asian food. The first time I went (this trip) I had the Nasi Goreng. It's a rice based dish tossed with vegetables and chicken. I had the real McCoy when I went to Kuala Lumpur, and this stuff is pretty comparable. Although I don't remember cauliflower in Kuala Lumpur...

Today, I chose to have the noodle cousin to the Nasi Goreng, but for the life of me I can't remember what it's called!I also discovered a little money saving tip... The corner drug store here is running a special on Arizona brand fruit punch, 99 cents for that big can. Probably more calories than I need, but it definitely is a thirst quencher. I also splurged today and got what I thought was a fruit and yogurt parfait. Turns out it was strawberries and custard. Still delish, but I wasn't prepared for the custard flavor and texture. All this cost me, $13.oo Canadian. A much better deal than Subway.

Tonight and until I leave T.O., my schedule is shifting to nights, which means, I'll be waking up in the afternoons, looking for food. Richtree Market, I'll see you tomorrow.


...

No comments: