I graduated from high school twenty years ago, and have worked every summer since. And even before that, I had summer school for most of my summers. So I never really had a true summer vacation for saaaay, 25 years?
Granted, this break from work wasn't really in the plan. Certain elements did not align in the universe and work I had put on the calendar failed to materialize, partially through my own fault. The joys of self-employment. But in the end, it's been pretty good. It's not that I haven't worked. Through the grace of some close friends, I've had a fairly steady, one or two day a week, easy gig at a television studio. Not to mention my "summer schooling" of going to Monte Carlo, Istanbul, and NIGERIA (also another blog). All of which pays the bills and gives us something extra to go to Hawai'i in August.
But, who would have thought at age 37, I'd be able to do nothing. Okay, so I've been doing that for 37 years, but now I'm really doing nothing. If I don't have to go to my TV gig, I get up, roll out of bed, find food, consider a shower and then plop down in front of the TV for what ever the satellite or TiVo had to offer. If nothing tickles my fancy, then it's video game time.
Some times I just sit around with my friends as seen in the picture below:

What could be better? I get to walk the dog in the morning and take him to the tennis courts to fetch balls. He loves it, but he's still a beagle and if we didn't have fences around the courts, he'd follow his nose off into the great beyond. I get to pet my cats, when they want to be pet. And I get to sit around and do... nothing.
I've taken this time to do things I've wanted to do that touring really cuts into. I've taken back up swimming. I ride my bike almost every day (but that's on hold because of an injured foot). I've read a few books, and I've gotten to level 9 in Oblivion for the Xbox360.
But I think the most important thing I've gotten to do is spend time with my wife. Touring is harder on the ones you leave behind, and coming up this fall, I've got a long one on the calendar. But it will be good. Because this tour will pay for the honeymoon and the Christmas trip to Hawai'i.
So I best stop sitting in front of this computer and get to the front room and see if I can get to level 10 before Nicole comes home from work.
But first to see what's on Ebay....

1 comment:
We've been thinking about getting a video game console, but haven't forked over the cash, yet. You like XBox over PS 3?
PS: I have summer vacation envy!
Post a Comment