Donated to the 3301 backyard fund, 200 square feet of sod. Gleefully donated by Mr. and Mrs. Fernaniker.

The alarm went off at 5:30AM this morning. I wanted to get up with the sun like any true farmer. I had my breakfast (Cheerios, they lower cholesterol), and played 15 minutes of my video game (very farmer-ish) where I created a pair of mithril chainmail pants that give me +24 on my magicka. Shaking the cobwebs from my brain and putting on my "dirty" clothes, I step out into the morning air.
And it was still dark. I guess I beat the sun. Well, no matter, let's get this over with so I can really start my day. I grab the key to the tool shed, bust out the fat leaf rake and start raking our nice lawn of dirt. I made an attempt to get all the leaves and branches that have fallen out of the way so I can lay the sod. Now I have a big pile of leaves, branches and dirt on the cement walkway by the house. At least the sun is now up.
I won't bore you with the details, but after two hours of laying starter soil, raking, and kneading sod together, we have half a lawn of grass. I'll follow the instructions that Shawn gave me and water it three times a day for the next week and hopefully, I'll grow some grass. And a green thumb. If we do, then Nicole and I will ask the landlord to blow some money and buy us sod to finish the rest of the lawn.
And that was my Monday morning.
Earlier this year, Nicole and I got a bee in our bonnet after I had set up chairs in the backyard for an evening glass of wine. We thought in the morning we could pull up some of the undesirable bushes and weeds and then level the yard and plant some grass. Long story short, here's the result of that effort from 3 months ago.

You can see where the new sod is in the bottom right corner of the picture. Fingers crossed we do better the second time around.
....
My left hand is sore. Here's why:

It doesn't seem to phase him when I hit shift. But my forearm is sore from the extra weight while typing. If I can get him to shift to the right arm after 15 minutes I can do reps for both arms by constantly typing:
"The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog. 1234567890"
....
And lastly some cute animal pics. It's been fairly warm here in Altadena lately, so the live stock spend most of their time sleeping.
Here's Pekona, curled up on his "place". We try to take him out every morning and hit tennis balls with him to wear him out. But most of the time sleeps anyway during the mid day hours. And most of the night. Huh, not unlike me.
When not sleeping on my hand, Kolohe can be found with his sister sleeping on top of Pekonas soft crate. We've taken to calling it the "kitty hammock" because the top has slowly been sinking into a bowl form from their weight. We always find it cute when Kolohe wraps his paw around Ipo.All together now,
"Hooooo! Da CUTE!"
Alright, my left forearm really hurts. Time to stop typing. Damn cat.

No comments:
Post a Comment