So today, I'm starting a forum. I've opened up my comments section (found at the bottom of every post) to the easiest setting. Now anyone can leave a comment without hassle (I think).
The forum will be about...
Beautiful Hilo and it's expansion. But for those of you who've never been to Hilo, here's a brief description/opinion of the city...
Hilo is considered the second largest city in Hawai'i by population. I think because Honolulu is considered all of the south side of O'ahu. If you divided it up (Hawai'i Kai, Waikiki, Pearl City), then Hilo would fall lower on the list. Hilo has the makings of a good medium size city (like Omaha, or Austin). It's the seat of power for Hawai'i county. They've got a WalMart and just got a Home Depot. There is a strip of medium to low end hotels and a cute downtown (see photo above). The best farmers market on the islands according to many travel sites. The Loco Moco is said to originate from there. Very laid back and easy going people quick with a smile. It's often thought that Hilo is "old Hawai'i". As opposed to Honolulu, and to a certain degree, Kona and Maui, it's still not invaded by tourists.And the locals want to keep it that way. The bulk of the population wants to keep the country, country. No tourists, no big hotels, little to no migration of outsiders, and little to no expansion of the city.
Which brings us to the debate. Should Hilo be kept country or should expansion come? They fight every step of the way to prevent big business from coming. People were grumpy when the Home Depot opened, but I'm sure they still shop there. I hear Costco wants to open, but they are meeting heavy resistance. Yet many people drive almost 100 miles to Kona to go to the Costco there.
Is this the right attitude? Half of me agrees. I like Hilo. I like it's small town feel. I don't want people moving in. I like driving slow in little to no traffic (in Hilo town anyway). Land is getting reasonable again, and plots are sizable. Stay out!
But the other half of me sure wants a Target store near by. The other half of me wants to diversify a little, bring in some new blood. A little technology would be nice. I want a Best Buy! I want high speed internet and satellite TV! Okay, they've got both of those already... But still little variety would be nice. Competition can be good for business. Keeps prices reasonable.
I understand the need to keep country country, but I think there's a fine line where if you don't keep up with the rest of forward moving societies, you'll eventually move backwards.
This is Bailey. He is a current resident of Hilo and a roommate with my brother Matt and his wife Susan. We were discussing the development of Hilo when Nicole and I were there earlier this week. This was his opinion, "Meow, meow, meow. Puuuurrrrrrr."I feel compelled by his argument and find it hard do disagree. Although I'm a little on the fence about, "Meow, meow, meow," I'm all for "Puuuurrrrrrr."
He's a good fellow. He's had a bit of a rough life as of late and still survives. He may be looking for new roommates soon. Anyone have space for a kind hearted fur ball?
So I'm torn. And I'm open to opinions to change my mind. Who's got one?

5 comments:
Hmmm...I actually like the way that Hilo is now (there's a drive-thru Starbucks so it's not that country) however think it could only improve the quality of life to add stores like Costco, Best Buy or Target. It's so expensive to live in Hawaii that it would seem better for the residents in the long run to have these stores in their area (so they don't have to drive to Kona for Costco and don't have to pay high shipping costs for things from Best Buy or Target).
Hilo does have many great mom 'n pop shops and some delicious restaurants so it's not desperate for big chain stores or eateries...but it sure would be convenient.
As far as a travel destination, I guess it is just fine as it is. There are many nice B&Bs in that area so the big resorts can stay on the west side of the island. Okay, maybe one really nice hotel in Hilo wouldn't hurt :)
-Nicole Boland
Don't even get me started on this topic. Having lived in Hilo for almost four years, I definitely appreciate all the little things Hilo has to offer. But it's time Hilo offers some BIGGER things. I'm not talking full scale changes, just a few here or there to make life a little easier. There is NO variety here. Why do you think we had to buy all our baby stuff on Oahu?
And besides, even if the evil empires open up (e.g. Chili's) it's not gonna force out the little guys (like Ken's or Kuhio Grill). Why? Cuz da locals love da plate lunch. And you know what? No mo plate lunch at Chili's.
I'll stop there...I could go on for pages. This is why Susan thinks I should run for mayor of Big Island County, I can talk a big game but do nothing about it hahaha!
Matt
That was suppose to be under the "other" heading...not "anonymous". Whoops
Matt
Watchoo talkin' about? I've left comments!!! On the other hand, you never leave comments on my blog *snif*. It makes the Little Baby Churchill sad.
On topic, I've never been to Hilo, but Nicole seems like a smart gal, so I'll go with her opinion.
See? I'm not the only one who reads your blog!
Post a Comment