Eh Brah, where you stay?

Altadena, CA. Hopefully I can post a map of Europe sometime this summer.
...
View My house in a larger map

08 September, 2007

Console Gods?

Here we are, start of the tour. We're in Grand Forks, North Dakota. It's really flat. Our 12 story hotel is the big bump in the landscape.

I think I've been here before. Tori played a show at UND (Univeristy of North Dakota). They're know for their hockey program and flight school I think. I'll ask a local if one comes by.

But as it turns out, this is a college town. And when I say college town, I mean, the town only exists when school is in session. I don't know that it's true, but someone said last night that there's 18,000 residents in Grand Forks. 15,000 of which are students at the college. This place must suck in the summer.

But I'm not here to talk about Grand Forks. I can't rightly say I know this town seeing as all I've seen is the airport and the hotel. The venue is part of the hotel so I've not stepped outside in about 24 hours now. Not to worry, it's been raining and 50 degrees. Best stay indoors for now.

I'm here to tell you about my console gods, and what Benny calls my "creature comforts".

I've been touring since 1995, when Light and Sound Design sent me out with Primus (first tour!). Aside from this past summer, I've not stopped. I've been through all the different phases, from minimalist roadie; Where you carry only what you can fit in one suitcase and wear the same shirt for a few days in a row; (Until I did Luther Vandross in 1997, where the rehearsals were in Secaucus, NJ in January, where it was -8 degrees. Then I had to bring more clothes and the 2nd suitcase) To my current state of two work boxes full of "creature comforts".

I have a chair, I have cushioned flooring, a large drinking cup (16oz. Solo cups are rare in arena catering), work shoes I never bring home, and so on and so forth. But what I love the most are my console gods.


It stated with Barrel Man. A gift from my brother. He's the fellow standing center in the above picture. Barrel man is a standard kitsch tacky gift from tourist traps in Hawai'i. Matt found this fellow in the Bahamas. Which goes to prove, only Tiki statutes are the true tacky gift from Hawai'i. Then Nicole purchased Laughing Buddha to bring luck to our wedding. He did a great job, and every show I don't rub his belly for, is usually a bad show.

The newest addition has yet to be named. He comes from Chile, a gift from my crew chief Mel. He's a great addition and will probably be a great friend with Barrel Man... And here's why...

Maybe I should name him Pee Pee. Hee hee!

2 comments:

Nicole said...

Well, helllllo Pee Pee! I think it's funny that you have 2 console gods w/pee pees hanging out and a buddha with boobies :)

Anonymous said...

Sweet! I hope the Barrel Man brings a snicker or a gasp from some unknowing crew members who lift it up.

Matt