Eh Brah, where you stay?

Altadena, CA. Hopefully I can post a map of Europe sometime this summer.
...
View My house in a larger map

11 September, 2007

The Siiiiiimpsooooooons...

If there's one thing that Grand Forks North Dakota has, it's perfect Simpsons clouds. They were better this morning while I was riding. But I didn't bring my camera with me.I noticed today on my ride that Grand Forks is Springfield, home of the Simpsons. In addition to the perfect Simpson clouds, they have the perfect square blocks. All avenues numbered east to west. All streets numbered north to south. So I rode south on 42nd Street to 11th Avenue east, to 34th Street south to 17th Avenue east, until I hit the river. Then I followed the bike path.

All lawns were the perfect green, all picket fences, white. Even the galvanized steel fences looked washed and polished. All cars are big SUVs or even bigger trucks. Only saw one Toyota Tundra.

I was in middle America. I saw a house for sale "price reduced". Wanted to stop and see how much. I'm sure in the mid to low 100,000's. Can't get that in L.A. unless you are buying a tent, on a corner lot of dirt. Nicole and I could live well here. But we would be living in Grand Forks.

It's beautiful now, but what's it like in the winter? Got's ta be cold cold cold. We're north of the Twin Cities of Minnesota. And according to the Travel Channel, them's the coldest metropolitan in North America.

I won't be here to find out if it's cold. I'll be further north in Canuckland in two days. At least it was a pretty ride.

And now for the cycling report brought to you by GU. Aloha.Riding conditions in Grand Forks, ND, 11 September, 2007:

Temperature: 47 degrees F
Wind: 28 MPH gusts N-NW, Sustained 10 to 15 MPH
Road conditions: Clean with chance of passing street sweeper and being passed by really big trucks and SUVs

It was cold on the ride this morning. Had on the arm and knee warmers. Should have had the booties and full fingered gloves. By the end of the 16 miles, I had frozen toes and fingers. A long cry from 110 degrees F in Altadena.

I went 8 miles up the Greenway bike path, and turned around. At the turn around point I had the above energy gel, GU, to help bring me home with some energy.

I've seen this product in bike shops and REI for years now, but never tried it until recently. I bought some for this trip, and had one on a ride back at home in California, just to try it out. After ripping open the packet and squeezing the gel into my mouth, I remembered the last time I had a GU.

It wasn't a long ride I did, only 9 miles. It was too hot in Altadena to ride for very long, so I squeezed the GU into my mouth before leaving the house, thinking it would kick in when I started riding. I didn't think the GU did anything. Until Nicole and I went to dinner about half and hour after my ride.

Nicole noticed something was wrong. I was fidgeting and couldn't sit still. It was like I was hopped up on cocaine. That's when it hit me... Now the GU is working...

Today, as I was tearing open the packet, I had noticed in very fine print, but all capitals, "CONTAINS CAFFEINE". After I swallowed then I remembered. I've not had caffeine in my system for over a month now, since I stopped drinking soda. What will happen to me?!!?!!

Turns out, nothing. I was cold and frozen by the time I reached the hotel, and went to my room to lay down and fell asleep without incident. Maybe shivering worked out the caffeine...

No comments: