Eh Brah, where you stay?

Altadena, CA. Hopefully I can post a map of Europe sometime this summer.
...
View My house in a larger map

27 September, 2007

Never Trust Summit Road.

Autumn is here. The trees in Prince George yesterday began to show their changing colours. I'm sure in a few weeks it will be unbelievable. And strangely, a two headed truck showed up at the gig.

Luckily, the trailer has a side door. But, man, it was hard to back that thing down the loading ramp.

Most amazing reception at the show last night. Even Mike Relm got a standing ovation!

...

Day off today in Kelowna. I think I like this town. It's a little resort town next to a lake at the base of the west side of the Canadian Rockies. In the summer the hotels swell with vacationers using the lake for boating and swimming. In the winter, the hotels swell with vacationers using Kelowna as home base while skiing in the mountains.

Today however is the beginning of the "off-season". The summer vacationers have left, and the snow hasn't begun to fall here yet. Which makes for perfect bike riding weather.

I downloaded a map of the bike routes in Kelowna and there was one that went straight out the front door of the hotel. I wrote down all the streets I'd have to makes turns on, making a big loop through the city. The temperature was perfect, low 60's, so I walked out to the bus and built my bike and headed out. And of course, half way down the first street I was on... Closed for construction. So I made a quick detour, got a little lost in the industrial area of town, but eventually found my way to the next street on my list. Which also happed to be under construction. But at least this one had signs for a detour. Which I followed until I hit the next street.

I was about 2 miles down the road when, guess what, it was closed for construction! This one also had detour signs, but I thought I'd better try something else. A little while after a few twists and turns, I found a bike path along a street called Summit Road. I took the right turn, and followed it around a corner. And what did I find?

A hill, straight up. First clue should have been "Summit Road".

I shifted gears and slowly made my way. I wasn't going to give up now. It's gotta stop going up at some point. 5 mph, 180 bpm. My speed was down, my heart rate up. About a half mile later, it leveled off for a spell before heading up again. I was able to regain some speed, bring the heart rate down. and get back at the grind.

But the pay off at the top was worth it. The picture I took below with my phone (still strange to say) doesn't do it justice.The mountains in the background, the crystal clear, calm lake. I think there was a house for sale somewhere along the Summit Road.

The only thing that would have made this better was my wife with me...

Happy Birthday honey!

No comments: