Yesterday was my birthday. I flew well under the radar about that one, which was fine. There's been a rash of birthdays lately on this tour, and frankly I didn't want anyone to get me a cake. I began to notice early on, that people on this tour didn't feel much like a "forced gathering". The radio would crackle, "Everyone to catering for a tour meeting." So we'd all show up, only to sing, "Happy Birthday" and eat some cake. I didn't want people who didn't want to be there, sing me "Happy Birthday". It would have felt like that scene in the movie Office Space (Hopefully the link will still work). It was better that I have a quiet one, and just let a few people know, it was my birthday.
A couple of days ago, Nicole had me take a couple of online "personality" tests. She is taking a class at the UCLA extension school, and I'm sort taking it with her (seeing as I'm on the road, I can't sit in every Thursday night). The tests didn't reveal much that I didn't already have an idea about. It basically says I'm an introvert of the worst kind, that I like my toys, tinkering around, and art. Which would make sense since I don't much care to socialize, love riding my bike (alone), love playing video games (alone), and lighting design. Now that's not to say I don't have a good time at a party, or hanging out with my friends. Or my interests are only limited to things I can do by myself. I can certainly manage a team of people if need be. Or carry on a conversation with someone. But it is to say, I wouldn't be very good "gig glue".
"Duct tape will fix anything," I believe is how the old saying goes. We don't have duct tape out on tour, but we have gaff tape. Which pretty much will fix anything on tour. Get a little creative with it and you can probably hold together a car and drive it at freeway speeds. "Gig glue", as I call it would be the social equivalent of gaff or duct tape. The person who manages all aspects of a tour as well as is able to interact and comfortably manage new people every day.
You would think that would be the job of the production manager. While this is partially true, the real gig glue is often the production managers assistant. They really have the daunting task everyday. New runners, catering staff, building people, not to mention the grumpy crew members. On a daily basis, PA's (Production Assistants) have to maintain a certain calm demeanor when all the really dumb questions one can ask will. They have to organize a new office everyday, tap into phone lines, set up wireless internet, the list goes on and on. It certainly is a job I don't envy, mostly because, according to the test, I'm an introvert.
So my hats off to the all the "Gig glue" out there. Thanks for putting up with me and my dumb questions like, "Where's catering?" "Where do I put my laundry?" "Make Mel stop poking me!" "Why do we have to get up at 8:00AM?"
Eh Brah, where you stay?
Altadena, CA. Hopefully I can post a map of Europe sometime this summer.
...
View My house in a larger map
...
View My house in a larger map
26 October, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
lol - last night, the instructor was in the middle of the lecture and when he looked at me, he stopped dead in his tracks and said in front of the whole class, "WOW, your husband is 100% introvert, I mean all the way across the scale...it's like, c'mon, say something!"
It was funny, your test results really left an impression :)
Post a Comment