So, I was going to write about the fun PUMPkin carving party we had while I was home in L.A. Good friends showed up. PUMPkins were carved. But, alas, I left for tour, all the pictures on my camera ready for download... and I forgot the cable. So PUMPkin pictures later...
...
Today, we are in Milwaukee. But that's beside the point. The real important (and bad) things happened last night. Mostly, I had after show food. This helps explain why I've packed on the pounds in recent years. On tour, you average 4 meals a day, breakfast, lunch, dinner, and after show. Because we work such long hours, by the time you get back to the bus, it's been 5 to 7 hours since dinner and you just worked a show and had to load it out. I've been trying to be good, and avoid the after show food which is often what ever fast food joint is open late. Meaning, 75% of the time, it's pizza.
I've asked them to at least put a salad on the bus for me. I'm trying to be good you see. But last night... last night, I had to break down...
Last night, they had Steak n Shake. For those who don't know, Steak n Shake is a chain joint found around the midwest and south. I can hear Nicole's mouth drooling as I write this. That, is a tasty burger. And their shakes aren't bad either.
They are sort of a 24 fast food joint. With the American Indian sounding takeout counter "Takhomasak". You can tell it's midwestern because it's a "sack" not a "bag", and they serve "pop" not "soda".
So I broke down, and had a double steakburger with cheese. Sooooooooo gooood. But don't tell Nicole. As I was chomping on the gastronomic delight, it got me to thinking... What are the best burgers I've ever had? I'm gonna limit it to fast food or not fancy restaurants. And when I say fancy, I mean TGI Fridays, fancy, which in all honesty, isn't that fancy. but it's nicer then some of the joints I'll list below. So here's the list, it's a start. I may start out in order of the best of the best to the best. But of course, my opinions my change over the course of time.
1. Jay's Jayburger- Los Angeles - Many things made this now defunct burger (they closed the joint down to put up a strip mall) top of the list. The chili that topped it, that had been simmering all day on the stove. The nice old man who served it simply, with cheese, pickle, onion and chili. That, and if you ordered two, he'd cook one and as soon as you started eating, he'd start the next one so it was hot and fresh when you finished the first. The location - it was a little stand on the corner of Virgil and Santa Monica in Hollywood. maybe 6 stools around the edges and one park bench in a covered area. A burger I will sadly miss.
2. Steak n Shake - Midwest Chain - Maybe this is high on the list because I had one last night, but they do make a tasty burger. The lettuce is always crisp and it's meat starts life as a ball flattened by the cook as he prepares it. Perfectly melted cheese and good sides.
3. In n Out - California, Nevada, Arizona - The first place on the list that offers a drive thru, and they can make a burger too. Lines are always long, but they have a simple menu with hidden specials if you know how to order. Double double too small? Get a 3 x 3 or a 4 x 4. You're a vegetarian but your boyfriend isn't? Order a grilled cheese sandwich. On the Atkins diet? Get a double double "protein style". Want more then your standard goop on the burger? Get it "animal style".
4. Paul's - New York City lower east side - Ross, our FOH sound guy recommended this place to me when we were rehearsing at the 3rd street studio. It's a well known hole in the wall with quite a good menu of burgers and other meaty sandwiches. Beer and burgers, always a good thing. How do I know this place is good? Besides eating an unbelievably good blue cheese burger, I saw a guy from the Alicia Keys tour (wardrobe) who catches the subway down from Harlem, just to have a burger from this place. In NYC, that's probably equivalent to driving from Pasadena to Santa Monica, or from Kaneohe to Mililani.
5. Johnny Rockets - Nationwide - Nice attempt at the throwback 50's diner. But I don't go for the atmosphere, I go for the burger. Nice thick patty, fresh toppings and milkshakes. I think the Frisco melt is my favorite. Sometimes you have to go with flat bread instead of a bun. I can do with out the smiley face ketchup plates though.
6. Wendy's - Nationwide - Of all the burger joints in all the towns, in all the world, Wendy's is the top of the true fast food joints. They've got a drive in, they have a tacky, loudly painted dining area to drive you out quickly after eating. But damn, if that square patty doesn't truly go edge to edge of the bun and then some. Juicy, tasty, and made to order. Not big on the chili though, but I have to keep ordering it because I keep forgetting. 1/2 pound is enough ground meat right?
7. Tommy Burger - Los Angeles - Yes, it's a gut bomb, but it's so good going in your gullet. The nice thick chili and simplicity of chopped onions and pickles make this burger a winner. Also, they are 24 hours which is perfect for after drinking food. But you'll pay for it later. Make the hang over interesting for sure.
8. Carl's Jr./Hardees - Nationwide - Depending on where you are in the country, they call it one or the other. But the big star burger is mighty fine.
9. Sunset Grill - Sunset Boulevard, Los Angeles - Don Henely wrote a song about this burger stand that was next to the Guitar Center on Sunset. I was lucky enough to have gone there before the old man sold it, and someone tore it down and put the "new and improved" Sunset Grill in it's place. Not as good as the original, but not bad. If it was the original old dude still cookin, I'd put this place higher on the list. What sticks out in my head is watching the original fellow, just douse the patty with salt and pepper.
10. Jerome Crooks backyard grill - Los Angeles - Okay, so it's not a restaurant, and you can't have one of these unless you are a friend of Jerome's and he invites you over for a barbecue. But damn, he makes a fine patty. Maybe it's the garlic in the mix...
11. Help me out people and send me your favorites to try. I'm all over the U.S. this time of year. And I can try what you recommend, as long as I can have a salad too.
Eh Brah, where you stay?
Altadena, CA. Hopefully I can post a map of Europe sometime this summer.
...
View My house in a larger map
...
View My house in a larger map
14 October, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I don't have a new favorite, but I have to concur with Wendy's having a great burger. I think Wendy's is totally underrated! You can even get a side-salad to make you feel better about eating fast food.
Post a Comment