Eh Brah, where you stay?

Altadena, CA. Hopefully I can post a map of Europe sometime this summer.
...
View My house in a larger map

02 July, 2009

Ha Ha, You Funny.

I worked on another Comedy Central special yesterday. Check your TV guide for the after hours special of Aziz Ansari in the near future. Couldn't tell you when, but it'll be on there, with full swearing. I highly recommend seeing it if you can. He was very funny. He reminded me a bit of Chris Rock with his mannerisms. He's not political/current events like Chris Rock. He's more of a cross between Chris Rock and Kathy Griffith. Chris Rock mannerisms, Kathy Griffith gossip/ true stories. If you see the special, the bit about Kanye West, is a gas.

I like doing the comedy specials. The work is pretty easy, and the LD, gaffer, and best boy are great people. The only real problem we had was interfacing our DMX with their house system. We brought in a bunch of moving lights and just tapped into their existing snake, but there was confusion about which DMX line was which. Took a while to sort out, but we were mostly ready for rehearsals that afternoon. It was a pretty easy show. We wrote two looks, one for each half of the show. Here's the first look. And a close up of the stage. Sorry, the white balance on my camera phone is non-existent.

It seems lately, there have been physical challenges for me to program around. For B.E.T., it was the damn wall, for this Comedy special it was the damn ceiling. I pretty much had to sit down on a high stool (hee hee, I said "stool"), for the entire day because if I stood up and shifted to my right a step, I'd smack my head on the acoustic tile.

At one point the house electrician came up to me to warn me that it gets really cold up here because of the A/C vent directly ahead. I assured her that I'm half polar bear and it wouldn't be a problem. Ask Nicole she'll tell you. I'm basically a walking radiator and if I had my druthers, I'd be living in a much cooler climate than where I am now. That's why if we moved to Hawai'i, my ideal place is wet side Waimea on the Big Island. Always cool, and always wet. Anyway, it never got so cold I had to put on a jacket. It was actually rather refreshing after a couple of high 90 degree days in Altadena.

All and all, an easy day. Karma gave me that one for the last show I did.

Karma still owes me one. B.E.T. was two days.



...

1 comment:

jade said...

Aziz's site is yet another that I visit every day. I can't wait to see the special.