Eh Brah, where you stay?

Altadena, CA. Hopefully I can post a map of Europe sometime this summer.
...
View My house in a larger map

01 July, 2009

TdF Starts Saturday!

Yes, it's that time of year again. The Tour de France starts this Friday in the Principality of Monaco. Should be a good race this year. Lots of possible winners, and a good controversy brewing on one team.

I'm sure we're all aware of the fun that's happening in the Astana camp. With 4 possible winners on their roster, Alberto Contador, Levi Leipheimer, Andreas Kloden, and Lance Armstrong, it would be really shocking if the winner wasn't from the ranks.

But perhaps not that shocking. This could be a re-hash of the 1986 Bernard Hinault, Greg LeMond battle.

Lance Armstrong pledged his loyalty (sort of) to Alberto Contador this year. The team manager, Johan Bruyneel has said Contador is the team leader. But everyone always qualifies their statements with, "But we will ride for the strongest rider." As if to leave the door open for intramural attacks on within the Astana team.

In 1986, I was cheering for Greg LeMond. In 1985, he put aside his ambitions to help a broken and battered Hinault win his 5th Tour. It was then that Hinault pledged his loyalty to LeMond and help him to secure his first win the following year. But when the time came, Hinault went against his word and attacked, saying that if LeMond wanted to win he had to prove he was the strongest.

What kind of crap is that? If you say, you are here to help someone, you help them. It just struck me at selfish and dare I say, very French.

I'm wrong about the French part, because this year could be developing with an American replacing Hinault and a Spaniard replacing LeMond.

I don't blame Contador for being worried. Armstrong is a good strong rider. But the contention I've held since Armstrong announced his return, it's time for the kids to get a chance. In my opinion, Armstrong should have taken a page from Micheal Jordan's book and stayed retired. Jordan came back and was half the player he was. While Armstrong continues to impress with great results in all the races he competes in this year, it's selfish to come back and essentially divide the Astana team into two camps. Those loyal to Contador and those loyal to Armstrong. I'm sure Armstrong will have the greater number of supporters when it comes down to it. But can half a team win the Tour? And for that matter, which half?

Should make for an interesting July.



...

1 comment:

Manny said...

Well you know how I feel... I say ride Levi ride but deep deep down I never vote against the man in black.