So, when did we become the French? The tables have turned. If you know your history - 1986, Bernard Hinault (Fra) vs. Greg LeMond (USA). Hinault - 5 time winner of the Tour de France. LeMond - Young up and coming rider, who helped a very broken Hinault win his 5th Tour de France, tying an age old record (until Armstrong won 7). Both on the La Vie Claire cycling team, managed by Bernard Tapie
2009, Lance Armstrong (USA) vs. Alberto Contador (Spa). Armstrong - current record holder for most wins of the Tour de France, 7. Contador - Young up and coming rider who has won all three major tours (Vuelta, Giro, and Tour de France). Both on the Astana cycling team, managed by Johan Bruyneel.
In 1986, the American cycling community cheered for our underdog LeMond who had to spend literally mountains of energy to over come his own teammate, Hinault to win. The French media (and possibly some of the fans) jeered LeMond calling him a "non-team player" and not working for (and being thankful for it) Hinault. Manager Bernard Tapie, openly admits to supporting Hinault. LeMond, just doesn't understand how he cannot be supported when all this was promised to him. The La Vie Claire team was divided.
First Mountain stage of the 2009 Tour de France, Alberto Contador, breaks away from his teammates on Astana on the final climb toward the finish, leaving Armstrong. At the finish, Armstrong's states in an interview that Contador's break was, "Not according to plan." The next day the American media (and frankly, MOST of it's fans) are all over Contador, calling him a "non-team player" and not working for (and being thankful for it) Armstrong. Manager Johan Bruyneel, while being very cagey and not openly supporting Armstrong, definitely shows a certain amount of favoritism to him (i.e. team selection for the Tour). Is the Astana team divided?
I think Contador had to break. I think he saw the writing on the wall and while the Astana boys keep saying, "We don't know who the leader of this team is... yet," there is an elephant in the room that no one will admit too... Everyone wants Armstrong to win - The U.S. Media (I'm talking about you Bob Roll and Craig Hummer), MOST of the American cycling fans, and 80% of the Astana tour team (Contador, and Sergio Paulihno being the opposing 20%).
While admittedly, it would be a great story, Armstrong comes back from retirement to win a record 8th time. A man so gifted at his chosen sport that at the ripe old age of 37 (funny to say when I'm almost 40, I must be rotten) he can be among the best again. Dominance is pretty cool, but even I grew to dislike the Detroit Red Wings.
But you know what would make a better story? Armstrong gracefully passes the torch to the younger generation, the ones who will lead us in the future of cycling. He recognizes the gifts in Contador and supports his teammate to the end.
You decide.
And what prompted all of this ranting? Craig Hummer and Bob Roll, the "Fox New Channel" for cycling. Is it not obvious when you watch that they are supporting Armstrong for the win? Chastising Contador for yesterdays break. You want unbiased reporting? Look to our British friends, Paul Sherwen and Phil Liggett. They might be supporting Armstrong in their hearts, but you never hear them say it. The give you all sides of the story and let you decide.
I don't hide the fact that I support Contador. I like Lance, but I don't like his subversive tactics this year. It feels two faced when he says, "We're going for a win on the team, strongest man will be in yellow," when he really means, "I'm going for a win for me, damn everyone else."
Besides, when he announced his comeback last August, didn't he say he was doing if for cancer awareness?
Step off soapbox. Exit stage right.
...

1 comment:
You wrote it for me so... I guess I need to jump up on the box and comment.
First, team tactics are best played out when they are "team tactics." Bertie just seem a weird combination of power, fear and no discipline. All that effort for what? 20 secs? And he looks bad doing it? No way to earn endorsement deals either. Sure if he wins the tour that will not be as much of an issue but...
I think this race is all about the last week and burning a match in week on is not the way to win it. Clearly he views Lance and Levi are his chief challengers not his teammates.
He could lose as much as 2 minutes in the ITT. So to me if he burns out early trying to show his strength to the team what does he have left for the last 4 major stages of this tour. Maybe his is superman but I think guys are all alot more human then say 10 years ago if you know what I mean. So any rider has to smart to win. Carlos was so smart last year for example and that was a day where team tactics were everything.
You know I think respect is earned on the bike...you just have it because you are "the greatest" and it seems like this team wants to ride for others. They have a chance to sweep the podium and wouldn't that be something. History. But Bert may not want to be apart of that as much prove his machismo to one other rider.
It is not that I want Lance to win either. I am routing for Levi to hang tough as he has been doing. Dropping a killer ITT and getting the full support of the team for the Giant. I know I know, a real screwball dark horse idea but ... it is one where I could see Lance riding for someone else with relish...Perhaps wining the ONE that got away while helping a teammate win the overall. Right now I think Lance is all about building his world-wide brand and sulking does not help that but not having your teammates show you a wee bit of respect does not help that either...
Post a Comment