I went to the gym early this morning to fit in a training session before I came here to see if I can put my butt to sleep yet again on this chair (it's sooooooo uncomfortable). One would think after years of getting up early and training on my bike, getting to the gym at 9AM shouldn't be a big deal. I guess it really wasn't a big deal, but I had to preface this blog with something.
I have a ritual of sorts that I do after my gym visits. I stop at the AM/PM on the way home and get a 32oz. drink packed with "crunch" ice and a Sobe citrus drink. Probably not the best idea to grab a high calorie sugary drink after a workout. But it's not about the liquid, it's about the ice. "Crunch" ice, if you didn't know, are little tiny cubes of ice that are great for chewing. A bad habit I've had for years. The tour manager on Blue Man Group had the same bad habit and her cure was to have the bus driver stop at the local Sonic Burger before they got to the gig and get her a couple of large cups of this "Crunch" ice. So if you have ever been to a Sonic Burger, you know what type of ice I'm talking about.
Another ritual I have, involves the drive to Mun2, well, any gig really, if I can pull it off. In the case of Mun2, there's a 7-Eleven just after the freeway off ramp that I stop at and get a Slurpee and bag of sunflower seeds. I used to get only the Coca Cola flavored Slurpee, but lately I've been branching out. The Coke flavor got a little too sweet for me. As for the sunflower seed thing, I think that started in Spain on the Shakira tour a few years back.
Spain has this chain of stores that sells candy in bulk. You've seen similar things in malls across America. You get the plastic bag and pack it full of different candies you like and then pay by the pound. At the stores in Spain they have a whole section of nuts too. On the one day off in Zaragoza, where Shakira was rehearsing, I got a bag of sunflower seeds. I have to say, it was the best, most flavorful sunflower seeds I've ever had. And they were big seeds too. Not like the tiny seeds you get in the U.S.. If I'm ever back in Spain, I'm packing an extra suitcase just for the sunflower seeds.
Today is a good day for my rituals.
Not only did I get my crunch ice after the gym, I got my Slurpee and sunflower seeds on the way to Mun2. Crunch ice almost gone... on to the Slurpee. I got the Mango - Passion Fruit flavor today. It's a little tangy and doesn't taste at all like a mango or a passion fruit, two flavors this Hawai'i boy is familiar with. I'm going to drink it anyway, then the Slurpee cup is my "spittoon" for the sunflower seed shells.Simple things in life make me happy.
...

No comments:
Post a Comment